help please!

cupcake

Ive had panic attacks for about 2 years and its really getting me down, I hardly go out on my own and I stopped driving because of them.
I drink alcohol and smoke ciggarettes. Sometimes I have a panic attack and feel shaky and have wobbly legs when I walk the next day after drinking. I would like to try an anti-depressant but I cant because it might interfere with my other meds, I have bi-polar disorder.

Maybe someone can offer advice for me?

plainsofserenity

cupcake said:
Ive had panic attacks for about 2 years and its really getting me down, I hardly go out on my own and I stopped driving because of them.
I drink alcohol and smoke ciggarettes. Sometimes I have a panic attack and feel shaky and have wobbly legs when I walk the next day after drinking. I would like to try an anti-depressant but I cant because it might interfere with my other meds, I have bi-polar disorder.

Hi Cupcake. In my meager understanding of things, there are two types of depression: clinical and bi-polar. In which case you are being medicated for depression.
..and if you "...feel shaky and have wobbly legs when I walk the next day after drinking." that would seem to to have to do with the alcohol - the quantity or perhaps reacting with the meds you are already taking. The solution to that would seem self-evident. (Easier said than done, I know.)

..final point...I'd also say that depressant, SA, and/or agoraphobia are better treated with a combination meds and therapy. In the long run, you might be better off asking your doctor for a referal to a therapist than different meds. - IMHO.

cupcake

thankyou plainsofserenity for the sound advice. Im actually going to try and stop drinking alcohol, I am told after a couple of months the attacks could be less severe. And that would be well worth it. I have also signed up for a c.b.t group which will start soon. Fingers crossed! :D :D

plainsofserenity said:
cupcake said:
Ive had panic attacks for

about 2 years and its really getting me down, I hardly go out on my own and I stopped driving because of them.

Hi Cupcake. In my meager understanding of things, there are two types of depression: clinical and bi-polar. In which case you are being medicated for depression.
..and if you "...feel shaky and have wobbly legs when I walk the next day after drinking." that would seem to to have to do with the alcohol - the quantity or perhaps reacting with the meds you are already taking. The solution to that would seem self-evident. (Easier said than done, I know.)

..final point...I'd also say that depressant, SA, and/or agoraphobia are better treated with a combination meds and therapy. In the long run, you might be better off asking your doctor for a referal to a therapist than different meds. - IMHO.

plainsofserenity

cupcake said:
Fingers crossed! :D :D

Mine too.
crossfingers.gif

Jamie2006

Hi there -

It's easy to advise to try quit drinking and smoking, but it's much harder to do it, eh?

I would suggest that you try to do those things, of course, but you may have some success by using small amounts of GABA. I've taken 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon on an empty stomach - very important that you have an empty stomach - per day. Don't take too much, because it causes tingling sensations that may not feel very good.

Also, since you are on meds, you will need to check with your doctor if the GABA might have an adverse effect.