help please, advice. im confused.

raggabutterfly

Im 18 years old, Im not sure if I suffer from panic attacks, Its really hard to describe what happens to me, I remember that it has been happening from a very young age. I will try to describe it..I will suddenly feel overwhelmed by a situation, like its not really happening, a dream like sensation, everything will feel reallly intense, i will get butterflys in my stomach and I will feel scared but I dont know what Im scared of, I have an intense feeling of being small...or not real, I dont know, its so hard to explain. I normally have to get away from the situation, outta the room.
I get anxious of social situations and I worry a lot before I meet friends or people. Sometimes when Im with people I will feel like im not actually there, or sometimes I will feel like everybody is looking at me and hating me. I feel dread when I think of meeting new people or sometimes even just talking to people. I hate talking on phones and avoid doing it, I never answer my mobile, instead I use text messages.
I sometimes suddenly wake up but I dont feel awake, it feels like a half dream state, I get scared, and I feel like things are crawling on me and I start not being able to feel my body properly or that Im not in my body.
I have taken substances before in my life and I tried LSD once, when I took it I got the same kinda effects as I do when I panic but a lot more intense, I started screaming and felt outta control and whenever somebody touched me it made me worse, it was horrible.
My grandmother apparently suffered from panic attacks and we now think my mother has developed bipolar disorder, we are waiting for her to be diagnosed. So Im thinking maybe these panic episodes are in my genes.
Im not sure, Ive been suffering for so long I just thought it was normal, Ive learnt to deal with it somehow.
But I dont suffer from any symptoms like feeling like im having a heart attack or difficulty breathing or anything like that. So im not sure whats wrong with me. Please help..
xxx

SilentType

Banned
Your story is very familiar. I can relate to everything you're going through. I'm 21 and have panic disorder. I was around your age (17) when I was diagnosed. If it's help you're looking for, let me know when you find it :/... I have been taking Xanax since diagnosis but all it has done for me is given me a large chemical dependence that I wish I didn't have to deal with. You'll find a lot of support on these forums from similar people, but I came here years ago for a way out of my struggle with panic attacks and I still haven't figured it out... Just something we gotta live with I suppose... Hang in there...

Peace

Thelema

Definitely get diagnosed and get some help with the panic attacks. Medication will make a big difference

joeyd50

Your story is very familiar. I can relate to everything you're going through. I'm 21 and have panic disorder. I was around your age (17) when I was diagnosed. If it's help you're looking for, let me know when you find it :/... I have been taking Xanax since diagnosis but all it has done for me is given me a large chemical dependence that I wish I didn't have to deal with. You'll find a lot of support on these forums from similar people, but I came here years ago for a way out of my struggle with panic attacks and I still haven't figured it out... Just something we gotta live with I suppose... Hang in there...

Peace

SilentType, I was on Xanax for years. Talk to your Dr. about Cymbalta