Healing through helping others?

Vincent

Banned
Social work/worker...

isn't this the opposite of social anxiety?

I'm wondering how I can really myself heal and then it struck me, I could be a healer, of others and then indirectly, myself.

At the moment, I am posed to leave teaching in Taiwan and return home to New Zealand to study psychology. When I researched the careers with this study, much of it is social work.

It seems impossible at first, but now I think, by working with others with mental health or social issues, then perhaps I'll heal myself as well.

Certainly my background of twenty eight years of depression and severe anxiety has equiped me with empathy and compassion? But, although I am a teacher, I don't feel as though I really give anything to the world, either socially or environmentally.

In order to give, you need to have something to give. You need your cup to be full before you can add to others... well, by learning psych, then I might just have something to give. That is, knowledge to go with empathy.

I feel as though there are alot of healers on this forum, everyone that offers support to others. How does this make you feel? Does it help with your own problems or just compound them? I worry about this,....if I am with others with mental health problems, will they just compound my own? Would that depend on whether they had the same or not? I don't have bipolar, OCD or agrophobia, so being with those examples wouldn't increase my SA?

Thoughts? Really appreciate any comments. Thanks.

Vincent.