head sweater finding hope with avert/secure

J

Johnny09838

Hello, I have lurked around here for a while and I finally have something to post about. I have struggled with head/facial sweating for about 5 years now. I never had real problems during my teenage/college years, but it got progressively worse after that. Really the only way I could describe it is that I would profusely sweat whenever I am "on the spot." It doesn't have to be a particularly nervous situation, just when somebody is asking me questions. Doctor offices, job interviews, bumping into someone I know, even talking to my parents can cause me to just drip. Also factor in that I'm mostly bald and I shave my head, so the sweat just pours down me and it's impossible to hide. I have combatted this by often wearing a baseball hat. This works for a lot of situations like going to the mall or wherever, but of course there are too many places I can't wear that: work, a restaurant, weddings/funerals. I've actually had people yell at me to take my hat off, its ridiculous. Most people probably think I wear the hat to cover my baldness but honestly I don't care about being bald, I'm hiding the sweat! In other ways I've been very lucky because I got a job working from home and I'm already married, so office and dating situations are not a problem. But I fear ever losing my job, interviews make me sweat the worst.

So really to make a long story short, like everybody I looked to the internet for help. My doctor basically laughed at me and I haven't gone back since because I drip the second I walk into a doctor's office. I have been reading about different medications for years. Initially I ordered oxybutynin a few years ago. Well the side effects were very bad, I was painfully dried out with a sore throat and I felt dizzy from just one pill. I never even got to the point of testing it out socially, it was so bad I threw it in the trash. So just recently I have been fed up with the sweating, I have some weddings coming up and the summer is almost here so I found this forum and saw some threads about avert/secure. I had heard of these before but too often I saw a negative review and figured it was too good to be true. But I decied to try it, and ordered a trial avert bottle and some 2.5% secure wipes from pharmacy.ca. I was worried with the "consultation" but they sent me the order.

Last week I had a dentist appointment. Sometimes I sweat badly at these. If everything goes smoothly, I don't get asked any tough questions, there aren't any problems, I don't usually sweat. But every time I feel like I could sweat at any moment. Tough to hide under those lights! Well I took one 2 mg avert, didn't eat, used 1 secure wipe, and went. I didn't sweat, never felt like sweating, it was great. I wasn't ready to celebrate yet though. My parents were coming over this weekend, and although we are close, their questioning can often set me off....especially at the dinner table! To top it off, it was the hottest day of the year so far, 80 degrees! Thats very high for this area. I took 1 avert, 1 secure, and entertained all day. No sweating! I sweated a little bit when I was outside but it was normal "I'm standing in 80 degree sun at noon" sweat. I felt so much more confident about myself, I was able to talk more than ever.

I'm not throwing a parade but I do feel like this definitely helped. Maybe it won't cure a job interview or something like that, but since I work from home I really only need to take this stuff on the weekends or if I go to a special function. I would be worried that if I took it every day it would lose its effectiveness, but I guess I'm lucky I don't have to do that. I am so optimistic about it. I even feel like I sweated less the second day after taking the stuff. So I will have to work on a balance, I get the feeling that 4 mg of avert would suffice since others here use that. And the secure wipes are more expensive too. Anyway, I will try to update this thread next time I try it and see how it goes. The side effects were not bad at all, no dizziness at all. Some dry throat but I just drank a lot of water. But I am hopeful, rejuvenated, and suddenly not dreading social contact. Maybe I can even take my wife to dinner. She just thinks I hate to go out!

I just want to thank "dubcloser" because his thread and updates of his experiences with avert/secure inspired me to try it. Thank goodness for this forum. Anyone who struggles with this affliction, I would suggest at least trying this stuff. Its expensive but it could really be worth it.

(heres the dubcloser thread FYI):

http://www.socialphobiaworld.com/avert-secure-robinul-experience-this-could-finally-be-it-12125/

WastedPotential

just wanted to say congratulations on everything going smooth with the dentist, oddly enough I'm comfortable around the dentist, my big thing is the barber.

J

Johnny09838

Hey guys, I said I would follow-up so I wanted to follow through in case anyone out there felt as helpless as I did. I have now used Avert several more times, one time at the doctor. I avoided the doctor for several years now because I was a dripping mess the second I walked in there. I took 2 avert that morning and they took my blood, gave me shots, and talked to my doctor for a good 15 minutes....COMPLETELY DRY. This is huge for me. I have also used 2 avert in the morning before some social functions and events, and I have yet to have a sweat episode after taking it. I thought I would at least feel the "warm" sensation a lot of people talk about when avert is working, and I haven't even felt that. The only drawback is dry mouth. I drink a lot of water and it's a bit annoying because you can never quench your thirst. But this is a small price to pay for people in public to not see you dripping sweat from your head/face. I agree with what others say to take avert on an empty stomach. I try to make sure I take it 2 hours before eating, and if I had to take it after eating I'd wait at least a few hours.

I have struggled with facial/cranial sweating for many years now and it had made me depressed, anxious, and had effected my social life and career immensely. I still won't take it every day but just knowing I can take this stuff when I have a big day and not having to worry about sweating is such a tremendous relief. I don't even bother with the secure wipes, avert is great. Maybe it will lose its effectiveness someday, I have no idea. But I can tell you right now I am stocking up. I am so glad I read the reviews on here about it, this has changed my life. I hope some helpless soul reads this and gets some relief. I really have no idea if Avert will work for everyone, but it is worth trying. No doubt about it.

Thanks again! Good luck to all HH sufferers, I know your pain.