Have you seen a doctor?

Hocuspocus

I have only recently heard of avoidant personality disorder but the symptoms describe me perfectly.
I was wondering if any avoidants out there have sought professional help?
My avoidance has become so severe it's really affected my life but because of my avoidance issue there's no way i'll ever be brave enough to pick up the phone and make a drs appt.

WelshOne

Do you have someone who can make the phone call for you? I get really nervous using the phone, so avoid it as much as possible (which almost entirely.) Someone else usually helps me make these sorts of calls, or does them for me.

You would probably surprise yourself if you tried to make the call yourself though. Ive had to do it on a few occasions and coped well enough, no disasters. It helps to rememer that the person on the other end of the call doesnt know you, and they speak to all manner of different people (with varying social skills) and will most likely forget you the moment they put the phone down (not in a personally insulting way.)

It can also help to make a few notes of what you want to say, so you can just look down at the paper if youre stuck for words.

Its also good to remember that you can hang up and any time, and they will probably just think you got cut off. It always helps me to know I have an "escape route."

I_Walk_Alone

Hmm, so your saying regular SAers arent afraid of using the phone?

I mean if I have to use it i'll use it, but it feels like I have a damn heart attck everytime the bloody thing rings.

Hocuspocus

Hmm, so your saying regular SAers arent afraid of using the phone?

I mean if I have to use it i'll use it, but it feels like I have a damn heart attck everytime the bloody thing rings.

No, that's not what I'm saying.
If my understanding is correct (and certainly in my case) avoidants will do all in their power to avoid situations that make them feel anxious.
Those with SA try and cope with anxiety rather than avoid all situations that will/might cause them anxiety or embarrassment. For example you will use the phone if you absolutely have to whilst i would never do that whatever the circumstance.

Moonchild

any avoidants out there have sought professional help?
I am an avoidant and I've been to a couple of meetings with a doctor.
But I could never call him either. I sent him an e mail explaining that I cannot use the phone
and I also described my symptoms and worries and asked him if he could help.
He agreed to see me and we made an appointment via e-mail. I never had to use the phone.
There are plenty of shrink-sites around the net and at most of them you can find
the doctors e mail. You could reach him this way, it has worked for me

antipop621

I'm going to my school's mental health clinic on Thursday this week to discuss this. I'm pretty sure I have APD.

Pariah

I went twice. He seems to want to talk about other things, that might be issues to some people, but aren't really bothering me. Not sure I'll go back.

Rodox

no,besides being afraid,my family deals with enough problems,I dont want to give them more...