Have I got Social Anxiety or just low self confidence?

luke_w24

Hi. I'm 17, and I really think that I have got SA, and I have my first appointment with ym psychiatrist next week. Could people here please give their opinions on what they think I have? The symptoms I have of SA are:
- Pyschical - sweating, panic attacks, rapid breathing, and sometimes insomnia.
- I can't ever leave my house, because I always think that people are talking and staring at me, and I feel that I will either get attacked, or doing something embarassing and people will look down on me. I am overweight and this is why I don't know whether it is a self confidence thing because of my weight, or if I have SA.
- I had to quit college, because I thought all gangs were talking about me, and when I had to speak in class, my voice would change, and I couldn't breathe because I was that nervous.
- I am extremely nervous all the time. Whether it is a knock on the door or the phone rining, I start to sweat, and breathe rapidly.
- I have lost most of my friends, but the one friend I have always invites me to parties, and I always make excuses not to go because I am that nervous and scared of going.
- I can't get on a bus, as sitting in a packed place makes me nervous, and when there are people standing up on the bus, I have to get off as I start to have a panic attack. I can't get on a bus at all now.

Sorry for the long post, but I am really unsure whether I have SA or just low self confidence. Can you please help me, and tell me what you think, and if you have SA, did you have the same symptoms.

Many thanks.

CK23

Dude i can totally relate to what you're going through... i was just the same at 17... i used to be so scared that i couldnt sleep at night cos i was afraid some burgular might barge in and attack my family... I was terrified in class rooms... when people started to play practical jokes my heart used to go cold and i used to get terrified when i sat in packed buses... This is SA which i did not know myself about until recently... The worst part is that i dont have anyone to lean on for help...I have managed to get back some confidence now that i am more mature and have been angered by the evil world around me but i am still very shaky and when someone is good to me i get so affected that i want to kiss their feet and all on my knees... I become totally blank around these few people i've met and i feel like i am caught in a hurricane... i feel clueless, i can't talk to them cos of my anxiety and yet i am dying to cos i like them so much....

bonafide

Pinker, it sounds like something has happend to you in the past. What events do you remember gave birth to these fears?