2. Welcome Notes
3. Main Article: The “Feeling Good” Trap
4. Therapists & Coaches Section: The Vitality Scale
5. Guest Spot: Interview With Steve Hayes, Originator of ACT
6. Workshops & E-courses
7. Free Resources
8. Parting Notes

1. One Minute Summary Of The Main Article

Our culture would have us believe that happiness is the natural state for human beings, but a quick look at the world around us reveals this is not the case. Depression, anxiety and stress are epidemic; likewise divorce, unhappy marriages, isolation and loneliness. And even those who lives seem blessed, still have to deal with the pain of loss, illness, injury, frustration, disappointment, aging, conflict, rejection, and death. The inconvenient truth is that our feelings are like the weather – always changing, and often unpredictable. There are cold days and hot days; rainy days and sunny days. You can’t control the weather - but nor does the weather control you! No matter how bad it is, you can choose to go outside and do whatever it is you need to. On a cold day, you can wrap up warmly and walk fast. On a hot day, you can dress lightly and walk slowly. And it is much the same with our emotions. You can’t stop sadness or anxiety or anger from showing up in your life – but if you respond to them with mindfulness, you can let them come and go without a struggle, and choose how to act when they are present.

2. Welcome Notes

Welcome to the first “Happiness Trap Newsletter”, which replaces the old “ACT Mindfully Newsletter”. This issue was supposed to come out back in July 2008, but unfortunately something called “life” got in the way! This new format aims to bring Acceptance & Commitment Therapy, better known as ACT, to a wider audience - one that includes not just therapists, counsellors and coaches, but also the general public. (If you know nothing about ACT, or have never heard of mindfulness, then before you read on, it is a good idea to click here to find out more about_ACT )
My hope is that you will forward this newsletter to any friends, relatives, colleagues or clients who may be interested. Given the frantic lives we all have – so much to do, so little time – and given there is a lot of reading material in each issue, I will limit this newsletter to once every three months. Each issue will have a main article centered around a common “Happiness Trap” – i.e. a popular concept or idea about happiness that will tend to make you miserable if you base your life on it. The rest of the issue will include book reviews, interviews, and guest articles from prominent ACT therapists, plus a clinical section especially for therapists and coaches. I hope you enjoy it and find it useful.

3. Main Article: The “Feeling Good” Trap

Our “Feel Good” society is creating a lot of problems for itself. Our ever-growing obsession with feeling happy, good, cheerful and positive is setting us up for a struggle with reality. The fact is, if we live a full human life, we will experience the full range of human emotions – not just the ones that feel good. Our culture would have us believe that happiness is the natural state for human beings, but a quick look at the world around us reveals this is not the case. Depression, anxiety and stress are epidemic; likewise unhappy marriages, painful divorces, isolation and loneliness. And even those who lives seem blessed still have to deal with the pain of loss, illness, injury, frustration, disappointment, aging, conflict, rejection, and death. Thus the natural state for humans is not happiness, or feeling good; rather, our feelings are like the weather, continually changing: at times very pleasant, at other times extremely unpleasant.

Although there is considerable debate about it, many experts agree there are nine basic human emotions: love, joy, curiosity, fear, anger, sadness, guilt, shock and disgust. Note that six out of nine of these normal human emotions do NOT feel good - and yet, these are feelings that every human being will experience repeatedly, no matter how wonderful their life is. So, to continue with the weather analogy, what would happen if you went through life believing, “We should have good weather every day. There must be something seriously wrong if it’s cold and wet outside.” If this was your attitude, how much would you struggle with reality? And how much would your life shrink if you believed, "I can’t do the things that really matter to me, or be the person I want to be, unless the weather is good"?

When we talk about the weather this way it seems ridiculous. We know we can’t control the weather, so we don’t try to. We let the weather do what it does, and we change our clothes to adapt. But when it comes to emotions and feelings, we often take a different approach. Humans readily assume that they have to feel good before they can do what really matters in life; so we often try very hard to control our feelings. And this is quite natural. After all, everyone wants to feel good, and no one wants to feel bad. So we try to push our unwanted feelings away with quick fixes of “feel good” activities - from cigarettes, chocolate, and alcohol, to TV, computer games, or shopping. And this is reinforced by all the people out there who claim they can help us: Buy a new car! Go on a holiday! Whiten your teeth! Have a Botox injection! Drink our excellent bourbon! Try our delicious new ice cream! Buy our product and you too can be as happy as the young, fit, healthy, beautiful, slim, suntanned, smiling person in this advert. And of course, many of these things do give us some good feelings – for a little while. But how long do those feelings last? And what does it cost you when you start to use these “feel good” strategies excessively or inappropriately? And do these things give you a rich, full and meaningful life in the long term?

Throughout most of recorded human history, happiness has been defined in terms of “doing good” – living a meaningful and purposeful life, guided by your values. But in the last 50 years, western culture has redefined happiness as “feeling good”. For example, in most dictionaries happiness is now defined as a state of pleasure or contentment. So let me ask you: when you look back over your life, what is the longest a state of pleasure or contentment ever lasted? A few minutes? Perhaps a few hours on a particularly special day? If you define happiness in this way, it can never be long-lasting.

Another far greater problem is that there is a world of difference between “feeling good” and “doing good”. When you die, no one will remember you for how you felt – they will remember you for what you did. And if you’re like most human beings, when you lie on your death bed, looking back on your life, you are likely to ask yourself questions like, “How well did I love?” or “What difference did I make in the lives of others?” You are unlikely to ask yourself “How good did I feel?”

To emphasize this point, whenever I give workshops or lectures, I ask all the parents in the room to raise their hands. Usually, this is well over three quarters of the audience. I say, “Having a child enriches your life enormously and gives you some of the most wonderful feelings you will ever have – love, joy, and tenderness, the like of which you could never have imagined. But are those the only feelings they give you?”
Everyone shakes their heads, and says “Nooooo!”
“What other feelings do children give you?” I ask.
There is a cacophony of responses: “Fear”, “Anger”, “Exhaustion”, “Worry”, “Guilt”, “Sadness”, “Hurt”, “Frustration”, “Rejection”, “Boredom”, etc.
So there you have it: the things that make life rich, full and meaningful give rise to a wide range of feelings – not just “good” ones. (This, of course, holds true for every loving relationship – not just those with our children. No wonder the famous philosopher Jean Paul Sartre said “Hell is other people.”)

So if we believe that happiness is the same as feeling good, we are constantly going to be struggling. Expecting to feel good all the time is like expecting a crocodile to be your best friend. You’re soon going to be disappointed. In ACT, we generally stay away from using the term “happiness”, as so many people think it means “feeling good”. Instead, we talk about “vitality”: a sense of being fully alive and embracing each moment of life, regardless of how you are feeling in that moment. If we were to define happiness in ACT terms, we would define it as living a rich, full and meaningful life in which you feel the full range of human emotions; or as the sense of vitality and wellbeing that comes from living by your values (something the ancient Greeks called “eudemonia”).

The inconvenient truth is that our feelings are like the weather – always changing, and often unpredictable. There are cold days and hot days; rainy days and sunny days. You can’t control the weather - but nor does the weather control you! No matter how bad it is, you can choose to go outside and do whatever it is you need to. On a cold day, you can wrap up warmly and walk fast. On a hot day, you can dress lightly and walk slowly. And it is much the same with our emotions. You can’t stop sadness or anxiety or anger from showing up in your life – but if you respond to them with mindfulness, you can let them come and go without a struggle, and choose how to act when they are present.

The more we can accept this reality, the more we are free to live the life we want. Instead of wasting energy trying to control how we feel, we can channel that energy into effective action – doing things to improve our life for the better. So next time your feelings are running rampant, you might like to gently acknowledge this, and with a sense of humor say something like, “Hmmm. Looks like bad weather today.” You can play around with this concept. If you're noticing feelings of grumpiness or irritability, you might say, "I can feel a storm brewing". If you're noticing a lot of anxiety, you might say, "Wow. There's a real downpour of anxiety going on right now". And you can use the weather as a metaphor to aid your mindfulness practice: you can watch your thoughts going past "like passing clouds"; you can notice sensations swirling around your body "like torrents of rain". Doing this helps you to remember that you are like the sky, and your feelings are like the weather: no matter how bad the weather, the sky cannot be harmed by it - and sooner or later, the weather always changes.

4. Therapists & Coaches Section: The Vitality Scale

The vitality scale is a simple tool to help you and your client track their experience during a session and between sessions. It is particularly useful when working with clients who complain of being totally numb or feeling lifeless. When talking to clients about vitality, it is important to explain that vitality is not a feeling or an emotion, but a sense of being fully alive, and embracing each moment of life, regardless of how you are feeling in that moment. Once you have made this clear, you can ask, “On a scale of 0 to 10, where 10 means you are fully alive, and 0 means you have no vitality at all, as if all the life has been drained out of you, where are you on that scale right now?”

You can play around with this in different ways. For example, you might ask, “When was the last time you were at a 7, 8 or 9? What were you doing?” You can then ask them to describe that memory in as much detail as possible. Often as you do that, will visibly notice the client “coming to life” before your eyes. Then you can ask, “Right now, just check and rate yourself again on that scale; how alive are you in this moment?”

For another example, you might ask your client to sit up straight, and look directly at you, and really be present with you; and then have them slump in the chair, break eye contact, and stare down at the floor. Next ask them to rate their vitality for each posture, and have them reflect on the difference; draw out the connection between mindful interaction with the world and a sense of vitality.

Throughout the session you might also track “how alive” they seem, and draw their attention to it; point it out when you sense vitality has gone up, and ask them to rate it again, and to notice what they are doing that is making a difference. This is very helpful in establishing the relationship between mindfulness, values and vitality.Try it out on yourself too; a few times a day, rate your own vitality; you will likely find it's highest when you're mindfully engaged in doing something meaningful.

You can tie this intervention very nicely into a defusion technique. If your client is fusing with painful and unhelpful thoughts, such as "Life sucks. There's no point in even trying. I've always been this way, and nothing helps!" you can write them down on a sheet of paper, and place it on the client's lap.
Then ask the client, "Please look down at the thoughts written on that paper - and get all absorbed in them. Don't pay attention to me or the room around us - focus only on the thoughts on that paper."
Next ask them to rate their vitality on a scale of 0-10. Typically they will score a 0 or 1.
Next ask them, "Now I'd like you to leave the paper on your lap, exactly as it is, and look up and really connect with me - see if you can really be present. And now notice the room around us. Here we are, in this room, you and I - connecting with each other. Now, on a scale of 0 to 10, how alive are you in this moment?"
Usually, their vitality score will go up at least a couple of points, if not more. You can then draw out the connection between mindfulness and vitality, and how fusion narrows your world and disconnects you.

N.B. As you do this, be sure to distinguish defusion from distraction. For example, you might say, "Notice that as you connect with me, that piece of paper is still there, on your lap, and you know exactly what it says; the thoughts have not disappeared; you are still aware of them. But you are now no longer caught up in them. You can have them there, and also engage in the world around you."

You can also point out, "Notice that in any moment, you have a choice. You can break off contact with me and the room, and get all absorbed in those thoughts on your lap. In fact, why not try it right now, and see what happens. Disconnect from me, look down at those thoughts, and get all absorbed in them. Notice what happens. (Few seconds pause). Now look up and really connect with me again. Which do you prefer?"

5. Guest Spot: Interview with Steve Hayes, The Originator of ACT

Note: this is only a short, edited extract; the entire interview makes great reading but it is too long to reproduce here. If you want to know about Steve's hippie days, his early influences, his favorite food, what makes him cry, his fantasies about the future of ACT, and what he'd like on his tombstone, then you can click here to download the entire interview.

Q: It is common knowledge that your own personal issues played a role in the development of ACT. Can you explain how?
A: When I developed an anxiety disorder around 1980, I found that my behavioral and cognitive training failed me. I turned to my eastern roots, and also explored the human potential movement. That gave me a route forward personally and I eventually integrated all of that into the intellectual and practical work that became ACT. People who come to ACT and stick with it find it personally useful ... without that it is just a technique, and often it is a technique turned to ends that are not fully ACT sensible.
One of the worst things that can happen to a person is to have their own work mock them -- as it does when psychologists realize that the methods they use for others they would not use for themselves. ACT does not have that problem. I do not know a single person who is a vital part of the ACT community who does not see the direct relevance of this work to themselves, their families, and their communities. I use ACT in my life every single day. It is a space I work to inhabit.

Q: Although ACT has been around since the early 80s, it is only in the last few years that it has started being used by tens of thousands of health professionals in many different countries. Why has it taken so long for ACT to achieve its current prominence?

A: Well, we took such a long way around in developing it there was no way for it to explode on the scene. Only a few people ever hear of it twenty years ago. Clinicians who moved in that direction (and there were a handful) had to do it with no resources -- no tapes, books, manuals, measures, or materials. Likewise researchers -- who initially were just my students or former students, pure a simple. If ACT had been popular 20 years ago it could not have withstood scrutiny. The model was not well developed and its foundation was weak. It certainly could not have served as a vehicle for something as lofty as trying to change the conversation inside behavioral and cognitive psychology. We were willing to spend years on philosophy, basic theory, measures, and applied theory before even publishing the approach in book form, but to be honest a lot of that was intuitive. It was not so much a grand plan as a feeling of "not yet." In hindsight there was a grand plan unfolding that was implicit in the impulse to work out the philosophy and basic theory and so on ... but that kind of journey takes a while. But because we waited and worked on the foundation now when people peel back the layers they see how much has been done on the foundations of the work. That is one of the things I'm most proud of about ACT. It is not just ACT, it is ACT / RFT. And it is not just ACT / RFT it is ACT/RFT/CBS.

Q: ACT is increasingly proving useful in a wide range of areas – from mental illness such as depression and schizophrenia, to physical illness such as epilepsy and diabetes, to enhancing performance in both sport and business. What makes ACT so versatile? And what has most surprised you about the diversity of its use?

A: ACT targets core language processes that interfere with psychological flexibility. They appear to be relevant wherever the human mind goes. I have been surprised over and over again at its breadth. Patty Bach's study on psychosis was a surprise; as was Lundgren and Dahl's epilepsy study, Jen Gregg's diabetes study, and Jason Lillis's weight study. We still have a long way to go -- but practitioners around the world are learning how. One cutting edge is learning how to combine behavioral methods with acceptance and mindfulness methods. Another is how to bring all of this into the mainstream culture ... not just therapy or even self-help, but into the cultural conversation. I think we've seen enough to know that these processes will enter into clinical psychology as a whole. You can count on that. But to my mind that is just the beginning.

Next issue, the guest spot will feature an article on compassion, by John Forsyth.

6. Workshops & E-courses

Workshops for Therapists and Coaches
In 2009 I'll be introducing 2 new types of ACT workshop: a) an intensive 2-day ACT Skills-training workshop, involving lots of role play, practice, and case conceptualization, and b) an ACT with Relationship Issues workshop, based around my forthcoming self-help book, "ACT With Love" (to be published by New Harbinger, May 2009). Details will be in the next issue. Workshops for 2008 are now virtually over, but there are still a few open: advanced ACT workshops in Canberra, Launceston, Melbourne and Brisbane, and introductory ACT workshops in Adelaide and Melbourne.
For details go to http://www.actmindfully.com.au/by_city

Workshops for the General Public
Alas, I just have not had time to put together a workshop for the general public, nor does it look likely in 2009. However, these days I generally allow at least a couple of non-professionals to attend my professional workshops, so if you'd like to come along, just shoot me an email.

E-courses
There are now two e-courses available: "ACT In A Nutshell" for professionals, and "Life Beyond The Hapiness Trap" for the general public. These are a simple way to enhance your knowledge and parctice of ACT - and both come with a "100% money back guarantee if not entirely satisfied". To find out more, go to www.thehappinesstrap.com/e-courses

7. Free Resources

I have created a variety of free resources that can be used in conjunction with "The Happiness Trap". (Of course, you can also use them with any other ACT book.) You can download these at: www.thehappinesstrap.com/free_resources
These can be used by oneself, or as a useful adjunct to coaching or therapy.

8. Parting Words

I hope you have enjoyed this newsletter. It will steadily evolve over the next few issues, and I welcome any suggestions on how to improve it. Meantime, I’ll leave you with a few quotes to chew over:

“For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." - H. L. Mencken

“If your happiness depends on what somebody else does, I guess you do have a problem.” - Richard Bach

“Happiness is like a cat: if you try to coax it or call it, it will avoid you; it will never come. But if you pay no attention to it and go about your business, you'll find it rubbing against your legs and jumping into your lap.” - William Bennett

All the best,
Cheers, Russ Harris

To subscribe to this newsletter, go to the main menu on www.thehappinesstrap.com

here's the link to the interview
http://www.thehappinesstrap.com/upimages/Steve_Hayes_Interview.pdf

ACT Mindfully: Acceptance & Commitment Therapy Training
February 2008 Newsletter

In This Issue:
1. Introduction
2. Main Article: Grief
3. The Ultimate ACT Resource Kit: Only $1.00
4. Metaphor of the Month
5. Workshops 2008
6. Final Words

1. Introduction

Welcome to the February 2008 ‘ACT Mindfully’ newsletter. (Previous issues are archived at newsletter_archives) It's been 3 months since my last newsletter, largely because I've been going through the most terrible time of my life; my whole word was turned upside down when my 2-year old son, Max, was diagnosed with a terrible condition. I just thank the stars that I've had ACT to help me through it. Because of my own personal struggle, I've decided to make the main article about grief.

2. Main Article: Grief

On my 40th birthday, I thought to myself, “Maybe life really does begin at forty!” I was on top of the world: after 20 years of writing (resulting in five unpublished novels), my first book was finally about to be published; I loved my job, and my career was heading off in new and exciting directions; I had good health, a strong marriage, and wonderful friends. But all of that paled in comparison to the greatest joy in my life: my beautiful baby boy, Max, who was then eleven months old. I have never known anything like those overwhelming feelings of love, joy and tenderness that a parent feels towards a child.

Like most new parents, I thought my son was the most beautiful, intelligent baby in the whole wide world – and I often fantasized about his future life. He would be so much smarter than me in every way - and unlike me, he would excel at sport, be super-popular with all his school mates, and a big hit with the girls when he got older. Then he would naturally go on to university and develop some high-power career. Ahhh, the wonders of fantasy-land.

By the time Max was 18 months old, my wife and I were concerned that he was lagging behind in his developmental milestones. He wasn’t walking, and he had very few words. A paediatrician assured us he was just ‘slow’, as ‘boys often are’ – and told us not to worry. But 3 months later, our concerns had grown. Max did not know his own name; he had very few words, and seemed to understand very little of what we said to him; he often seemed ‘spaced out’ in his own private world; he still wasn’t walking; and he had started some odd behaviours, such as rolling his eyes, strangling his teddy bear, grinding his teeth, and shuffling up and down the floor, over and over, staring at the cracks and lines. So we decided to get a second opinion. The new paediatrician was very concerned and arranged for a thorough assessment. On November 16th, 2007, just five days before my beautiful baby boy turned two, he was diagnosed with autism. My world just crumbled.
‘Autism’ is one of those words like ‘cancer’ or ‘AIDS’: when you hear it, you can’t help but feel a slight shudder. And when you hear it as a diagnosis applied to your own child, it’s like someone sticking a knife in your gut – then twisting it around – then slowly pulling your intestines out through the wound. I cried, sobbed, howled; felt pain like I had never known. I’ve broken bones, torn ligaments, had loved ones die - but this pain was in a league all of its own.

The word grief comes from the Old French grève, meaning a heavy burden. People often talk about ‘grief’ as if it’s a feeling – but it’s more helpful to think of grief as a process in which one experiences many painful feelings related to loss. Elisabeth Kubler-Ross is justly famous for writing about the 5 stages of grief: Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, Acceptance. However, she never intended this to be a definitive sequential classification of the grief process. Just before she died, she wrote that these stages “Were never meant to help tuck messy emotions into neat packages. They are responses to loss that many people have, but there is not a typical response to loss, as there is no typical loss. Our grieving is as individual as our lives.” It’s important to keep that in mind. I am going to be talking here in generalities; nothing I say will fit all people in all situations.

So what is the ACT take on grief? Well:

1. Accept what you are feeling. You may feel anything from shock to guilt to sorrow to anger to despair and hopelessness. Of course in some situations, you may also feel relief – for example, when someone has died peacefully after a long period of extreme suffering. Whatever these feelings are: notice them, name them, breathe into them, and make room for them.

2. Accept that at times you will be overwhelmed. In the early stages of grief, those painful feelings are often like a tidal wave; they rise up and bowl you over and carry you away. Often this will happen before you are aware of it. And that’s okay. There’s a time and a place for just allowing this to happen; to let yourself be engulfed by the wave. The good thing is, that wave will never actually drown you - even though it feels like it will. And you can always take the observer perspective: ie ‘take a step back’ and observe yourself feeling overwhelmed. This will let you ‘see’ that the waves may knock you around but they cannot harm you.

3. Learn to anchor yourself. Over time, the waves start to reduce in size. They’re still big, but they’re no longer tidal waves. Sometimes they’ll knock you over. Sometimes they won’t. To anchor yourself when these waves hit, you can practice a very broad focus mindfulness exercise: notice where you are & what you’re doing; notice what you can see, hear, and touch; notice what you are feeling and see if you can name it. Maintain a broad awareness of your surroundings, your actions, and your feelings simultaneously – and this will usually keep you grounded, until the wave subsides.

4. Connect with your values. What do these feelings tell you about what is important to you? What do they reveal to you about your on heart?

5. Here’s a powerful question for anyone grieving. Suppose you could have a choice. Option one, you never have to have these painful feelings ever again - but it means you never get to love or care about anyone or anything. Option two, you get to love and care about all sorts of people and things – but when you lose what you care about, you will feel intense pain. Which option would you choose?

6. Develop self-compassion. Be kind to yourself. If someone you loved was suffering, what sort of kind, loving things would you say and do for them? Try talking to yourself and caring for yourself in this manner.

7. Be on the alert for unhelpful stories. Common ones include: The ‘My life is over’ story; he ‘I’ll never get over this’ story; the ‘I can’t bear it’ story; and the ‘It’s my fault’ story. Also watch out for the ‘Should have done this/ shouldn’t have done that’ story, which can easily grow to epic proportions. Other lifeless stories include anything that begins with the words ‘If only’ and anything that contains the word ‘unfair’. (It’s true that life is unfair, but there’s no vitality in buying into that story). At times these stories will hook you up and reel you in; you can’t avoid that. But once you realise it, you can unhook yourself by naming the stories, thanking your mind, and letting them go.

8. Find vitality within your pain. Your grief tells you two very important things: a) you’re still alive, and b) you have a heart. Tune into your heart: connect with your values and carry on with your life, doing the things that are important. And take your grief with you, carrying it gently and carefully, as if it were a child in your arms.

9. Consider how you can grow from this experience. What might you learn about forgiveness, compassion, letting go, acceptance? How might your own experience benefit others that you care about? Do you notice your heart opening towards others? Kelly Wilson, one of the founders of ACT, talks about how your own suffering in life enables you to develop an ‘emotional stethoscope’ - with which you can clearly listen in to the pain in others’ hearts.

10. In many situations, a grief ritual is useful. Make a time and place in which to feel your pain fully: to open up, and embrace it, and let it be. When dealing with the loss of a loved one, this might be a regular ritual that goes on for weeks or months; you can make it as simple or elaborate as you like – with candles, photos, prayers etc.

11. Remember the ancient saying, “This too shall pass.” Remind yourself of this, when the waves are pounding against you. Over time, the waves will get smaller, and the intervals between them will grow longer. (Although even years later, tidal waves can suddenly appear, taking you by surprise.)

12. Take it easy; rest up; take the pressure off. Grief consumes energy so you’ll often need to cut back on what you do, for a while. But that doesn’t mean giving up on life. Keep acting on your values – just scale down the effort so you look after yourself adequately.

13. While acknowledging what you have lost, also make sure to appreciate what you still have.

I can’t claim to have followed these guidelines perfectly in the last two months. Sometimes I ran away from my pain - tried to distract myself by going to movies, or wolfing down double-coated chocolate Tim-Tams by the packetful. This didn’t work very well though (and I gained a few kilograms of lard). At other times I fused with some pretty horrible stories, as my mind conjured up stark gloomy images of Max’s future: my little boy - impaired, disabled, rejected; an outcast of society. Ahhh, the horrors of fantasy-land. At times I got completely consumed in my anger at the unfairness of life. And at times I took out all my pent-up angst on my wife – as if she didn’t have enough to cope with already. One of the biggest mistakes I made was not paying enough attention to point 12, taking it easy. I went ahead with an ACT workshop in Melbourne about a week after Max’s diagnosis – and barely got through it. In retrospect, I should have cancelled it. I spent the entire two days fighting back tears, and was exhausted afterwards.

However, having said all that, I have pretty much followed these guidelines a lot of the time, and now I am mostly in the acceptance stage. The waves are smaller, and sometimes disappear for days at a time. (Although they can quickly resurface when I see him alongside kids of his own age, and my mind starts comparing and judging.) Point 13, above, seems one of the most important: to appreciate what you still have. A friend of mine lost her young daughter to septicaemia, and has been an absolute inspiration to me: in the midst of her unimaginable pain, she has still managed to find joy in life and appreciate the family that she still has.

Max is now enrolled in an intensive behavioural therapy program, and the future is not yet written. When I let go of all my stories about who he could be and should be, when I come back from the future to live in the present, when I love him as he is without any expectations, then the sweetness of those moments is truly wonderful. And as Kahlil Gibrahn wrote in The Prophet, “The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain.”

3. The Ultimate ACT Resource Kit: Only $1.00

If you’re interested in UNLIMITED access to the following:

• A vast range of teaching tools for learning more about ACT
• Membership of the online ACT and/or RFT communities, where you can share ideas, and receive advice and ideas from ACT therapists all around the world, and interact with scholars, researchers, educators, and practitioners who will work in a collegial, open, and mutually supportive way
• A wide range of papers, articles, powerpoint presentations on ACT
• Numerous client handouts and protocols
• Easy-to-understand Online Tutorial for learning about RFT
• A huge amount of resouces for clinicians, on everything from organizing sessions and case conceptualization, to exercises, metaphors and visual aids
• List yourself as an ACT therapist on the official worldwide ACT website
• And much, much more …

Then you should join the ACBS (Association for Contextual Behavioral Science). To join ACBS only costs $1. That’s right, just $1. Why is this? Because ACBS membership operates on a system called VOLUNTARY DUES. That means, after you have joined, IF you consider that your membership is good value, ACBS would appreciate it if you then VOLUNTARILY paid a membership fee.

ALMOST unbelievable, isn’t it? The recommended annual fee is $50 US, or $25 US for students etc. - but if you think it’s worth more than that or less than that, then ACBS would like you to pay whatever you honestly think it’s worth. If you think it’s worth nothing, then pay nothing more than your $1 joining fee and your membership will remain intact for one year. However, if you think it’s worth $50, $100, or even $400, then ACBS hopes you will donate that amount at a later date, knowing full well that it’s going into a good cause: spreading ACT throughout the world to benefit suffering humans everywhere.

If you’re not sure about joining, why not take a look at what ACBS has to offer, by clicking here: www.contextualpsychology.org
There’s lots of useful stuff on the website for non-members, but you’ll get a sense of just how many fabulous goodies you can download once you become a member.

If you already know you want to join, it takes two steps. First you’ll need to register a log-in ID. To do that, click here: http://www.contextualpsychology.org/user/register/

Once you have your log-in ID, then click on the "Join, Renew, or Donate" link, which is located halfway along the dark blue header that runs across the top of each page on the website. It will prompt you to log in, and then you just follow the instructions.

4. Metaphor of the Month

Mindfulness is the miracle by which we master and restore ourselves. Consider, for example, a magician who cuts his body into many parts and places each part in a different region — hands in the south, arms in the east, legs in the north, and then by some miraculous power lets forth a cry which reassembles whole every part of his body. Mindfulness is like that — it is the miracle which can call back in a flash our dispersed mind and restore it to wholeness so that we can live each minute of life.

— Thich Nhat Hanh in The Miracle of Mindfulness

5. Workshops 2008

Sadly, Kelly Wilson cancelled his plans to visit Australia in 2008, but the good news is, John Forsyth is coming over in July to run workshops on ACT with Anxiety Disorders. I'll update you in the next newsletter.
All my workshops for the first half of 2008 are now listed on my website: click here for details. In the second half of 2008, I plan to run some 1-day ACT Skills-training workshops, and some 2-day ACT for Couples workshops.

Note: if you’ve previously done a 2-day introductory or advanced workshop of mine, and you’d like to repeat it, you can do so for a significant discount: only $275 (as opposed to $395). To take up this offer, email my PA, Ilana: [email protected] (Make sure you quote the workshop date and location you previously attended, so she can verify your details)

6. Final Words

All too often we resist change because change usually brings fear, and we don’t like feeling afraid. But change is part of life. If we are to adapt to life’s challenges, and grow stronger through the process, we need to make plenty of room for fear. So here are some parting quotes to chew over:

“You block your dream when you allow your fear to grow bigger than your faith.”
- Mary Manin Morrissey

“To fear is one thing. To let fear grab you by the tail and swing you around is another.”
- Katherine Paterson

“You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do.”
- Eleanor Roosevelt

All the best,
Cheers, Russ Harris

Copyright 2008. Dr Russ Harris. All rights reserved. (To subscribe to this newsletter, please visit: www.actmindfully.com.au )

sabbath9

Banned
hot off the presses

The Happiness Trap Newsletter, March 2009
Visit our website at The Happiness Trap | Stop Struggling Start Living by Dr Russ Harris

Table of Contents
1. One Minute Summary
2. Welcome Notes
3. Main Article: The “Success” Trap
4. Responding To Crisis
5. Workshops
6. Free Resources
7. Parting Notes

Our society generally defines success in terms of achieving goals: fame, wealth, status, respect; a big house, a luxury car, a prestigious job, a huge salary. When people achieve these things, our society tends to label them as “successful”. But by this conventional notion of success, Martin Luther King was not successful: after all, he did not achieve his goal of equal rights for people of all skin colors. And yet – we remember, admire and respect him. Why is that? Because he stood for something: he lived by his values! So an alternative definition of success is living by our values. When we define success in this way, we can all be successful human beings. Yes, right now, in this very moment – even though there may be all sorts of important goals we have not achieved yet – we can act on our values. And therein lies the secret of ‘instant success’.

2. Welcome Notes

Welcome to the new easy-print version of this newsletter: my website guys have reformatted it so you can now print it out without any formatting headaches. I am writing this newsletter amidst a stack of cardboard boxes, piled high on either side of my desk. Next week, I am moving from one side of Australia to the other - from Melbourne to Perth. This is not a move my wife and I wanted to make. It is a values-based choice: we are doing it so we can access the best available treatment in Australia for my three-year old son, Max, who was diagnosed with autism just over a year ago.
The move is stressful and expensive and a major hassle – but we wanted to be able to look back in later life and say we did everything we possibly could for our beautiful little boy. And that is one of the harsh realities of living by our values: it doesn’t necessarily make life easier. In fact, it very often makes life harder. But it also makes life much more meaningful and rewarding. After all, when we look back over our life, we are unlikely to ponder, 'How easy did I have it?' We are far more likely to ask, 'How well did I love?'
Actually, this is a great question to ask yourself at the end of each day: 'How well did I love?' If your answer is 'Pretty good', why not take a moment to savor that? Reflect on what you did that was loving - towards yourself or others - and notice the sense of vitality and fulfillment associated with those actions. And if your answer is 'Not so good', then don’t beat yourself up – just reflect on some simple things you could do differently tomorrow, and what that would mean to you - then use those thoughts to guide your actions tomorrow.

3. Main Article: The “Success” Trap
What does the word “success” mean to you? When you hear “She is very successful” or “He’s made a success of himself” what does that conjure up for you? Our society generally defines success in terms of achieving goals: fame, wealth, status, respect; a big house, a luxury car, a prestigious job, a huge salary. When people achieve these things, our society tends to label them as “successful”. But if we buy into this popular notion of success, we set ourselves up for a lot of unnecessary suffering.
How so? Well, this view of success inevitably pulls us into the goal-focused life - always striving to achieve the next goal: more money, larger house, better neighborhood, smarter clothes, slimmer body, bigger muscles, whiter teeth etc. And the illusion is, “When I achieve this, then I will finally be successful”. And of course, the corollary of that is “When I am successful, I will be happy.” The problem is: a) we may never achieve those goals, or they may be a long way off – which leads to chronic frustration and disappointment; and b) even if we do achieve them, they will not give us lasting happiness; usually they give us a brief moment of pleasure, satisfaction, joy – and then, we are focusing on the next goal.
Furthermore, if you buy into this notion of success, it will put you under tremendous pressure - because you have to keep on achieving and achieving to maintain it. As long as you keep achieving those goals, then you are successful - ‘a winner’, ‘a high-achiever’. But if you stop achieving, then you are no longer successful; you are a ‘has-been’, or ‘a failure’ or ‘a loser’. It is this popular notion of success that leads to the widespread issue of “fragile self-esteem”. Fragile self-esteem is very common in high-performing professionals. These high-achievers often develop a strong positive self-image based on their performance. So as long as they perform well, they have high self-esteem. But as soon as their performance drops, their self-esteem comes tumbling down: from ‘winner’ to ‘loser’, from ‘high-achiever’ to ‘failure’.
In The Happiness Trap, I suggested an alternative definition of success: success means living by your values. If we redefine success in this way, it makes life so much easier – because in any moment, we can act on our values – even though our goals may be a long way off. Suppose you want to change career and become a cardiac surgeon – well, you are looking at a minimum of ten years of your life before you can achieve this goal. That’s a long time. But suppose the core value underlying that goal is to help others. Well, you can act on that value over and over and over, all day, every day for the rest of your life – even if you never become a cardiac surgeon.
By the conventional notion of success, Martin Luther King was not successful: he did not achieve his goal of equal rights for people of all skin colors. And yet – we remember, admire and respect him. Why? Because he stood for something: he lived by his values! And when living by our values becomes the definition of success, it means we can be instantly successful right now. All we need to do is act on our values. From this perspective, the mother who gives up her career to act on her values around nurturing and supporting her children is far more successful than the CEO who earns millions but completely neglects his values around being there for his kids.

Albert Einstein put it this way: ‘Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.’

And Helen Keller put it like this: ‘I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish small tasks as if they were great and noble.’

So next time your mind is beating you up for not being successful enough, try saying ‘Thanks mind!’ And then ask yourself ‘What’s a tiny little thing I can do right now, that’s consistent with my values?’ Then go ahead, and do it. And therein lies the secret of ‘instant success’.

4. Responding To A Crisis
A crisis can present in many different forms, from the death of a loved one, to loss of a job, to collapse of a marriage, to financial disaster. When we are hit by a crisis, an emotional storm whips through our mind and body, tossing painful thoughts and feelings in all directions. No one wants a crisis, but we will all inevitably experience them. So when it happens, let’s turn it into an opportunity to develop important coping skills, using the acronym: S.T.O.P.

Slow your breathing
Take a few deep breaths, and mindfully observe the breath flowing in and out. This will help to anchor you in the present.

Take note
Take note of your experience: consciously notice what you are thinking, feeling and doing. Notice how your thoughts and feelings are swirling around, and can easily carry you away if you allow them.

Open up
Open up around your feelings. Breathe into them and make room for them. Open up around your thoughts too: take a step back and give them some room to move, without holding onto them or trying to push them away.

Pursue your values
Once you’ve done the above three steps, you will be in a mental state of mindfulness. The next step is to pursue a course of action, guided by your values. Ask yourself, “What do I want to be about, in the face of this crisis? What do I want to stand for? How would I like to act, so that I can look back years from now and feel proud of my response? What personal strengths can I cultivate during this process?” Use these values to guide what you do next.
To download a free handout on coping with crisis (which includes the above acronym) click here:
http://www.thehappinesstrap.com/upimages/What_To_Do_In_A_Crisis.pdf.pdf

5. Workshops

New ACT Workshops for Therapists and Coaches
In the second half of 2009 I'll be running 2 new types of ACT workshop: a) an intensive 2-day ACT Skills-training workshop, involving lots of role play, practice, and case conceptualization, and b) an ACT with Relationship Issues workshop, based around my forthcoming self-help book, "ACT With Love" (to be published by New Harbinger, May 2009). These will happen in Perth, Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane – details in next issue. Below are the remaining workshops for this half of the year.
To register go to: By City | ACT Mindfully | Acceptance & Commitment Therapy Training

Traditional ACT Workshops
2009 Adelaide INTRODUCTORY : Tues 19th May & Wed 20th May
2009 Brisbane ADVANCED Tues 7th April & Wed 8th April
2009 Brisbane INTRODUCTORY Thurs 18th June & Fri 19th June
2009 Canberra INTRODUCTORY: Mon 23rd March & Tue 24th March
2009 Melbourne INTRODUCTORY: Wed 29th April & Thurs 30th April
2009 Melbourne ADVANCED: Wed 1st April & Thurs 2nd April
2009 Perth INTRODUCTORY : Tues 5th May & Wed 6th May
2009 Perth ADVANCED Mon 22nd June & Tues 23rd June
2009 Sydney ADVANCED Tues 12th May & Wed 13th May
2009 Sydney INTRODUCTORY Wed 10th June & Thursday 11th June

6. Free Resources

Just a reminder that I have created a variety of free resources that can be used in conjunction with "The Happiness Trap". (Of course, you can also use them with any other ACT book.) You can download these at: Free Resources | The Happiness Trap | Stop Struggling Start Living by Dr Russ Harris

7. Parting Words

I hope you have found this newsletter helpful. As usual, I’ll leave you with a few quotes to chew over:

'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.' - Anais Nin

'The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart.' - Helen Keller

'Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.' - Buddha

All the best,
Cheers, Russ Harris

To subscribe to this newsletter, go to the main menu on The Happiness Trap | Stop Struggling Start Living by Dr Russ Harris

sabbath9

Banned
from Holding Back from Life | Psychology Today

Published on Psychology Today (Psychology Today)

Holding Back from Life
By Steven C. Hayes
Created Jun 21 2009 - 5:32am

What makes us most human is what we care about. In a word, what matters most are our values.

The problem is that what we care about is also where we get hurt – so we tend to hide out from our own caring. We keep it from others – if we are really good at it we keep it even from ourselves. Instead of being who we are, we try to be who we are not -- out of fear that we are unacceptable, perverse, or untrustworthy.

There are built in paradoxes in Acceptance and Commitment Therapy. Here is one: Acceptance is not about change but it is the biggest change there is. So, too, with values. Superficially, it appears as though we need to find our values. Actually, it is more like we need to get out of our own way. And values pull for evaluation: Being right; Doing the “right” thing; Pleasing mommy; no longer feeling badly about oneself. None of that works. None of that is what we are trying to accomplish in ACT work.

Here are some questions that might be of help, just to get the right set.

* What if values were a choice?
* What if values were a matter that was between you and you?
* What if what was at sake is a kind of self-liberation -- the liberation to be about 
what you most deeply would choose to be about
--- not to avoid guilt, or get applause, or otherwise objectify yourself but just to be in the world how you choose to be in the world.
* What if you cannot really do it wrong ... you can just do it freely?

Here are some guides that might be helpful.

* Look at what hurts you the most. Look at your deepest sense of vulnerability. What would you have to not care about for that hurt and vulnerability to not be there?
* Think of the most amazing moments in your life ... times when you 
feel most alive. Go inside that memory. What is the larger pattern of caring that makes that moment dear?
* Assume you belong here. Assume you make a difference. Assume your being is not in question. 
If you took your own sense of vitality, when is it at its highest. What larger pattern of caring 
embraces that vitality?
* Look not just to the future. Values are "about" that but they show up here and now. If they do not, that is not what
we are talking about.

Kelly Wilson has a nice metaphor. You design a house. You build it. You would never then ask "is this my real house?" It would not make sense. This is the house you built. If it is not right for you, you redesign it, remodeling it, or move.

In the same way you choose your values. You live inside the life they structure. It does not make sense to ask "are these my real values?" as if your life is a puzzle to be solved. These are the values you've been choosing and inside that choice, life can become a process. You are free to choose again, and again, and again.

No one can countermand your values – it is one of the few things that are like that (acceptance is another ... perhaps why ACT is most about these two processes). Ironically, although values enable evaluation, they cannot be arrived at that way because it skips over choice. We have to let go of others giggling or saying we are wrong. We have to let go of the idea that there is "right way" that obviates the terror and opportunity of taking responsibility for what we stand for. Ironically, although values choices are among the most important thing we can do in life, to make these choices freely we have to hold it all very lightly, and self-compassionately.

If you have been holding back perhaps it is time to let yourself free. What do you most deeply want to be about in your life and how does that show up positively here and now?

You can let this be informed by your culture, your family, your heroes, or your God but ultimately it is between you and the person in the mirror. If you are willing to stop holding back, you cannot do it wrong because it is a process.

Maybe it is time to stop holding back.

Maybe it is time to choose.

Steven C. Hayes

Author of Get Out of Your Mind and Into Your Life and fellow traveler
Source URL: Holding Back from Life | Psychology Today

Links:
[1] Get Out of Your Mind | Psychology Today

sabbath9

Banned
The Happiness Trap Newsletter, June 2009
Visit our website at The Happiness Trap | Stop Struggling Start Living by Dr Russ Harris

Table of Contents
1. One Minute Summary
2. Welcome Notes
3. Main Article: The “Winners and Losers” Trap
4. ACT With Love
5. Brand New ACT Workshops
6. Melbourne ACT Conference
7. Free Resources
8. Parting Words

Remember: your self-judgments are not problematic in and of themselves – they only become problematic when you hold on tightly to them. So regardless of whether they’re positive or negative, true or false, aim to hold those self-judgments lightly. It takes effort, but the more you can loosen your grip on those self-judgments – both the positive and the negative – the more you will experience something truly wonderful: genuine self-acceptance.

2. Welcome Notes
How have the last three months been for you? For me, they’ve been a real roller-coaster ride. My wife, my son and I uprooted from Melbourne, and moved to the far side of Australia, to live in Perth (which has the dubious honour of being the world’s most isolated city). Fortunately, Perth is a beautiful place: great weather, fantastic beaches, laid-back lifestyle, and warm, easy-going people. If you read my last newsletter, you’ll recall the reason we moved was to get the best treatment available in Australia for my son Max, aged three-and-a-half, who has autism. Luckily for Max, there is a brilliant psychologist in Perth called Darin Cairns, who has incorporated the principles of RFT (Relational Frame Theory – the theory of language and cognition underlying ACT) into his behavioural treatment programs, with truly astonishing results, and I am delighted to say, Max is making progress in leaps and bounds.
And now, three somewhat more relevant news items: First, the Australia and New Zealand ACT Conference has been definitely confirmed for Melbourne, November 13-15, and will feature a host of fantastic speakers from Australia and overseas. (Read more below.) Second, I now have 2 brand new types of workshop available: an advanced, hands-on, skills-building workshop, and a relationships issues workshop. (Read more below.) Last but not least, I am pleased (and nervous) to announce the publication of my new book “ACT With Love”, which is all about using ACT for relationship issues. (Again, more info below.)

3. Main Article: The “Winners and Losers” Trap
Our society often encourages us to think in terms of “winners” and “losers”; “successes” and “failures”, “champions” and “underachievers”. We frequently encounter all sorts of books, articles and experts that tell us: “Think like a winner!”, “Be a success”, “Winners do this!”, “Only losers do that!” If you hold on tightly to the story that you are a “winner”, a “champion”, a “success”, there may well be some short-term benefits for you; you may well get to feel good about yourself. Especially if you compare yourself to someone else who''s a “loser”, “failure”, or “underachiever”. But how long does that last for? How long before your mind finds someone else who is achieving more or being “more successful” than you are? And when your mind inevitably locates that person, and then starts comparing you to them, what happens next? Who does your mind then start calling a “loser”, “failure”, or “underachiever”? And if you are in the habit of holding on tightly to your judgements about yourself, what happens next?

You may have heard of the concept of fragile self-esteem. It’s something very common in “successful” professionals. As long as they achieve all their goals, they can hold on tightly to the “I’m a winner” story, and they get to feel good about themselves. But the moment their performance drops -- and sooner or later, it will, because there’s no such thing as a perfect human being -- the story instantly changes to “I’m a loser”. And if their habit is to hold on tightly to their self-judgments, then they instantly get sucked into the black hole of “I’m a loser”. This set-up creates a desperate need to achieve more and more, for fear of becoming a “loser” or “failure” or “under-achiever”. And this in turn leads to chronic stress, performance anxiety, perfectionism, and burn-out.

And even if we could, against all the odds, manage to hold on tightly to “I’m a winner”, “I’m a success” etc, in the long term, what effect might that have on our relationships with others? Have you ever tried to build a rich and meaningful relationship, based on openness, respect and equality, with someone who was holding on tightly to “I am a success”, “I am a champion”, “I am a winner”?

The take home message: hold your self-descriptions and your self-judgments very lightly. Regardless of whether they’re positive or negative, true or false, don’t get over-attached to them. After all, they’re only words. Is a biography of Nelson Mandela the same thing as Nelson Mandela himself? Clearly not; it is just a bunch of words. And regardless of how true or false those words are, they cannot come close to the richness and fullness of the living human being himself. (After all, which would you rather spend time with? Nelson Mandela himself - or a book about him?) The same principle holds true for all your own self-judgments and self-descriptions. In ACT, we’re not interested in whether these thoughts are true or false, positive or negative – we’re interested in whether it’s helpful to hold on tightly to them. And hopefully you can see that whether your self-judgments are positive or negative, if you get into the habit of holding them tightly, it will create problems for you.

What matters in life is what you do, not the stories you believe about yourself. If you doubt this, think about your own funeral; do you want people to be saying “What I really admired about him was he had a really high opinion of himself”? Or would you rather they said, “What I really admired about him was that he was there for me when I needed him; he helped me; he supported me; he encouraged me to live life to the full.” Notice, you can be there for your loved ones, and help them, and support them, and encourage them, regardless of what you think about yourself.

Now if your mind is anything like my mind, you’ll notice these self-judgments change like the wind. There are days my mind tells me I’m a wonderful father and a loving husband; and there are other days my mind tells me I’m a lousy father, and a selfish husband. There are days my mind says I’m a pretty good writer; and other days my mind says everything I write is utter crap. So if your mind says “You’re a loser,” don’t hold onto it. Just thank your mind, name the story, and let it come and go in its own good time - neither hanging onto it, nor fighting with it, nor trying to push it away. You could even say to yourself, “Aha! Here’s the loser story! Thanks mind! Good story!” And of course, if your mind says, “You’re a winner,” don’t hold onto that one tightly, either. Just say to yourself, “Aha! Here’s the winner story! Thanks mind! Good story!”

To quote Margaret Fontey:
"One important thing I have learned over the years is the difference between taking one''s work seriously and taking one''s self seriously. The first is imperative, and the second is disastrous."

Remember: your self-judgments are not problematic in and of themselves – they only become problematic when you hold on tightly to them. So regardless of whether they’re positive or negative, true or false, aim to hold those self-judgments lightly. It takes effort, but the more you can loosen your grip on those self-judgments – both the positive and the negative – the more you will experience something truly wonderful: genuine self-acceptance.

4. ACT With Love
"ACT With Love" is a powerful and inspiring book about love, relationships and intimacy. (To download the introduction and the first chapter of ACT With Love, at no cost, click here.) Popular myths about love set us up for a struggle with real life. The inconvenient truth is there''s no such thing as a perfect partner, all couples fight, and feelings of love come and go like the weather. But that doesn''t mean you can''t have a joyful, intimate, and loving relationship. ACT With Love is a simple and empowering self-help program for healing, rebuilding or strengthening your relationship, using Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT). It also shows how you can unilaterally improve your relationship, even if your partner is unwilling to cooperate. And while it’s written for the general public, it will be a valuable resource for therapists and coaches too (especially if, like the rest of us, you readily get into struggles with your own partner).

To buy ACT With Love in Australia: try Angus and Robertson bookstores, or online from my "actmindfully" website: Cds And Books | ACT Mindfully | Acceptance & Commitment Therapy Training

To buy ACT With Love in the USA: try Barnes and Noble bookstores, or online from New Harbinger ACT with Love : Stop Struggling, Reconcile Differences, and Strengthen Your Relationship with Acceptance and Commitment Therapy

To buy it in the UK and Europe, try online at: Act with Love: Stop Struggling, Reconcile Differences, and Strengthen Your Relationship with Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (Paperback) By (author) Dr. Russ Harris ISBN 13: 9781572246225 at The Book Depository

5. Brand New ACT Workshops
I am now offering 2 brand new types of ACT workshop for therapists and coaches. Firstly, there’s the new intensive two-day SKILLS-BUILDING workshop, designed for people who’ve already done at least two ACT workshops. This is a hands-on, skills-training workshop, to help you progress from “chunky, clunky ACT” to “fluid, flexible ACT” – and it includes lots of practice in pairs and threes. That means it’s guaranteed to bring up all your fears and insecurities and self-doubt – to get your mind telling you the “I’m a lousy therapist” story. It’s also guaranteed to help you develop or enhance a host of practical skills and strategies, and build your capacity to remain mindful with your clients even when the going gets tough. For more information visit: Skills-building Workshops | ACT Mindfully | Acceptance & Commitment Therapy Training

I’m also running two-day RELATIONSHIPS workshops, on the use of ACT with common relationship issues. Discover how ACT can help you to resolve conflicts, reconcile differences, recover from old hurts, deepen love and intimacy, resolve sexual problems, and effectively adapt to the painful, complex, messy situations that show up in even the best of relationships. As usual, these workshops will be both experiential and didactic. For more information visit: Relationships Workshops | ACT Mindfully | Acceptance & Commitment Therapy Training

6. Melbourne ACT Conference
Whatever you do, don''t miss this year''s Australia and New Zealand ACT Conference. It will be held in Melbourne this year, at the University of Melbourne, on Friday to Sunday, November 13-15. We have some fabulous overseas speakers lined up, including Patty Bach (co-author of ACT in Practice), JoAnne Dahl (co-author of ACT For Chronic Pain), Jay Luoma (co-author of Learning ACT), and Robert Zettle (author of ACT For Depression). There will also be a pre-conference 2-day ADVANCED ACT workshop, co-hosted by Kirk Strosahl and Patti Robinson, who are both pioneers of ACT, and fabulous workshop presenters. Make sure to book it into your diary, and for more details visit the official website: anzact.com

7. Free Resources
I have created a stack of free resources to use in conjunction with “ACT With Love” – you’ll find them at: Free Resources | ACT with love

Also, in case you didn’t know, I have created a variety of free resources for use with "The Happiness Trap". (Of course, you can use these with any other ACT book.) You can download them at: Free Resources | The Happiness Trap | Stop Struggling Start Living by Dr Russ Harris

8. Parting Words
I hope you have found this newsletter helpful. As usual, I’ll end with a few quotes:

Say not, ''I have found the truth,'' but rather, ''I have found a truth.''
-- Kahlil Gibran
You must be the change you want to see in the world.
-- Mahatma Gandhi
We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.
-- Sir Winston Churchill

All the best,
Cheers, Russ Harris

To subscribe to this newsletter, go to the main menu on The Happiness Trap | Stop Struggling Start Living by Dr Russ Harris

Reiji Moritsugu

First of all, thanks a lot ^_^ !! I read it all and there definitely are some things to think about, this is an interesting subject that deserves to be given a deeper look.

See you around :)