had heart tests done but still having attacks

steve78

About 3 months ago I got bells palsy. Ever since then, I have been suffering from panic attacks. I have had anxiety issues for about 15 years and have been taking paxilcr 25 for about that long. I now am taking xanax .5 as needed. Lately, I have been having palpatations and racing heartbeat and shortness of breath both during exercise and while driving. It has gotten to the point that I am afraid to exercise because I have a fear of having a heart attack or something bad happening. I went to my doc and 3 yrs ago had similar symptoms. I had an EKG, ECHO, and a stress test which were all normal. I then felt fine. Now, last week I had a stress test again and it again was normal but my symptoms are still here. I am thinking that they may have missed something because I still feel this way. I can't seem to break this cycle and am sick of living in worry everyday. I went to a psychiatrist once last week but it didnt seem to help much. I have another appt next week. I just feel like there is really something going on and cannot seem to get my mind off of it. My doc has increased my paxil to 37.5 and said to continue with the xanax. I personally feel that I am addicted to xanax because if i dont take it one day, i feel extremely lightheaded. Im not sure if that is due to the withdrawal or just simply anxiety. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Helyna

I'm no doctor/psychaitrist, but the first thing that comes into my head is that you're taking too much medicine or have taken it for too long. There are side effects. Has your doctor considered that there's a top limit?

steve78

no my doctor never mentioned that. he said to just increase the paxil and take xanax as needed.

Lexmark

Sounds like you a hypercondriac :p
Dump the meds and excersise MORE
I think a lot is in your head if they did all them tests and everything is fine.

Helyna

Yeah... look up the side effects. Actually, Xanex looks like it has more what you're describing, including "pounding in the chest or rapid heartbeat" and "nervousness, restlessness, sleeplessness (insomnia) and sweating" - exactly the sort of things it should be stopping! Some doctors give medicine like there's no tomorrow, but you have to be careful.