group therapy?

alex29

i started going to individual therapy last fall. im taking a break now but when i go back in january my therapist suggested i think about group therapy so she can see how i act in social situations. then we can meet again privately to talk about how i felt in the group etc etc

but im not sure im ready for this. it took me so long to schedule thta first appointment and now she wants me to be open with a group of strangers? i break down crying everytime in individual therapy, i am too afraid to do that in front of a group...

has anyone done this? has it helped?

Sad-Kitten

I have never done group therapy. If she just wants you to try it once then it might be worth a try. Ultimately its your choice, she can't force you so if you don't feel comfortable just tell her your not ready.

krfoss

you may want to give it a try. though it will be hard for you, it will give your therapist a clearer idea of how you act in social places and how she can best help. and as Sad-Kitten said, you can try it once and see what you think, then talk to the therapist about it afterward.

alex29

i just feel like the only way i would feel comfortable is if it was a SA/SP group only.

Sad-Kitten

Yeah i can see how that would be pretty difficult. Although i have never done group therapy, i have thought about it, and i figured it would just be with other SA'ers. Good luck!

Edit: Hey i got a star :lol:

alex29

Lexmark said:
I want to try group theray so fukin bad
Give it a shot
What you got to loose ? SP

i can lose sp by going out and making loads of friends but thats not exactly the easiest thing for us either huh?

Felgen

I've had group therapy (or more specificaly, it was a course on social skills), it helped me a lot!

jayBDee

I think group therapy would be worth a try. I think if I went, I would probably just go and sit in the background without talking for a few sessions so I could warm-up before sharing my feelings with the group (is that how it works?).

alex29

im so nervous :( i cant imagine talking openly about i feel with strangers and then being analyzed by a therapist