Going too far with exposures

phineas gage

Hello all,

One of my biggest issues when conducting exposures by myself (i.e. not under the guidance of a therapist/counselor) is the worry that I am going too far with the exposure. Essentially I worry that I am crossing the line from an OCD exposure into actually possibly causing myself harm. My obsessions center around the concern that I will somehow get brain damage, primarily through contact with toxic substances (gasoline, paint, pesticides, etc.). So in my dorm room at my newly renovated dorm at school, I've been making myself touch the dust that accumulates on a ledge running around the circumference of the room about halfway up the wall. My concern with paint (aside from the fumes from fresh paint) is that it will be lead-based and thus there is the possibility that I will get lead poisoning and brain damage. Rationally, I know that the walls are not painted with lead-based paint since the dorm was renovated last year, but it is still difficult for me to touch the dust (which I have deemed to be paint dust) on this ledge in the room. On the one hand, it seems like dried paint, paint dust and paint chips should be relatively harmless if the paint does not have lead in it, but when I was brushing this ledge that runs around the room with my finger and then came up with a small speck of dried white paint on my finger, my anxiety went through the roof. At one point, I swept up some dust from this ledge with my finger and rubbed it off on the blanket on my bed. This also caused quite a bit of anxiety. In both cases, I felt like I had crossed a line with the exposure, that I had crossed into real dangerousness by A) getting a small paint chip on my finger and B) wiping some of the dust (the perceived paint dust) onto the blanket that I sleep with every night. The compulsion is to wash my blanket, and my concern is that if I don't I will get lead poisoning and brain damage, etc by sleeping with the blanket and inhaling the paint dust I wiped on it. Even though the dorm, as I said before, has just been renovated, my concern is that since I go to a school that is quite old (founded in the 1800's) lead paint certainly was used around campus at some point, and even though the buildings have been repainted since then, there is still a possible hazard. It sounds ridiculous the more I type, so I'll stop here. Basically, I have trouble sometimes distinguishing between real health hazards and what my OCD perceives to be hazardous. Let me know if anyone has any advice/comments about my exposure described above, or in general about the making the distinction delineated in the previous sentence. Hopefully it doesn't sound like I'm just looking for reassurance here. Thanks and keep fighting the good fight everyone.

Phineas

yesnomaybe

hi back phineas gage.

yes, it can be very difficult to distinguish between reality and fantasy. pretty much though, any uncomfortable thought that sticks in your head and plays over and over is "the disease", as i like to call it.

with a lot of practice, i've gotten pretty good at quickly identifying the obsessing when it begins to happen, which is critical. you can't manage an unhealthy behavior if you don't recognize it as unhealthy and in need of being managed.

exposure for me was the second step in my therapy. i first brought my thoughts under some sort of manageable control, then i briefly performed exposure. i wigged out of course and the obsessing flared again. however, once i got the obsessing under a reasonable amount of control again, i once more performed exposure, and of course I wigged out again, but the obsessing that i experienced afterward cleared up more quickly, i noticed, which was great. it meant that i was making some kind of progress, which i was and did.

you may want to talk to your therapist about doing something similar to what I did. it may work out for you as well.

best wishes to you!

B

biancarose

I understand what you are saying. I suffer from contamination OCD myself--but my problem is that I have become obsessed with my parents genitals and I don't feel comfortable being intimate with him because he works outside around chemicals a lot and I don't "trust" him to wash "properly", so either I have to watch him shower or we are not intimate with one another. I definitely understand what you are saying about real hazards and hard to differentiate, unfortunately I can't help, but I can let you know that I go through the same mindset and it is really difficult. I just find for that my own piece of mind its easier to avoid the situation, which probably isn't good for our relationship either, but for now it is what makes me most comfortable. I feel for you.