Getting lost !!!

Greenade

Hi,

Does anyone else have a fear of getting lost?

I don't know if its connected with my social phobia, or even if its agoraphobia, but i hate going to or being in places i don't know on my own......its easier if someone is with me, not that anyone ever is...... :?

I think its because i am so pre-occupied with watching everything and everyone around me, that i don't actually see anything or anyone around me, if that makes sense.....!!!

If i have to go anywhere that i don't know i get so panicky.....i have no sense of direction.....i couldn't ask anyone for directions, and if i did i wouldn't register what they were telling me, because i would be so intent on nodding in the right places i wouldn't have really heard, or couldn't remember what they had said....... 8O

This creates a real panic in me when i even think of going somewhere i don't know on my own..... :(

I just don't notice any road signs or anything...... :roll:

Is this normal???
Its bloody scary though!!!

Adrian

despise

im sure when i start driving on my own, getting lost will be a big problem for me. whenever my instructer made me drive somewhere new i would panic. i don't go to new places on my own. so, i guess i've never had to be worried about getting lost because i would always follow who ever i was with.
but i remember first day at school - it was a huge blur of panic. i had no idea where i was going, what i was doing, i was always late to my classes. :evil: not like i wanted more attention...gir.

Toad

Yeah, I always worry about getting lost when I'm going someplace I've never been. I always make someone else come with me the first time I go somewhere new...even if it's just like 5 minutes away. I find it helpful to go to mapquest and get directions to wherever you're going even if it's just like 10 or 15 minutes away...although...sometimes they say to go like 4.5 miles and I go like 6 and start to worry lol. Dunno why I worry about this since I've never gotten lost :?

maggie

Greenade...what you described is me totally!! I hate travelling anywhere I am not familiar with...afraid i'm gonna get lost, run out of gas, something stupid like that. But i do go way beyond that though :oops: ...if i'm like in a grocery store with someone and i have to use the washroom...yikes....i say..."WAIT FOR ME"..."DON'T GO ANYWHERE"...cause then i feel like i will be looking all over for them after and not be able to find them...and have that stupid lost dorky look on my face.. 8O

Greenade

Yes maggie i'm the same.......if someone goes with me to somewhere and they go to the washroom or anything, i'm always waiting outside, i won't move incase they come out and i lose them.....thank God for mobile phones...(even they are scary to use)

Lately i get around this problem of getting lost and all the fear associated with it, by just not going anywhere new.... :? in fact not going anywhere..... :oops:

Having no-one to go with me makes it just too hard to cope with.....thus i use my tried and tested story of my life AVOIDANCE tactics.... :!:

Its the fear of being vulnerable, and unsafe, that makes getting lost soo hard to think about, let alone do.......aarrgghh

Adrian