getting help...?

HotCheeks

I've been suffering from social phobia and severe blushing for 5 years. About 2 years ago I decided it had put my life on hold for long enough and went to see my doctor. I was so full of hope and excitement, thinking this was going to be the start of my new life and I was so overwhelmed to be finally telling someone that the minute I got into the room I burst into tears and couldn't talk for a few minutes. After finally pouring it all out, I was completely speechless when the doctor said "So what?". He did refer me to a psychologist but I felt so stupid after his reaction that I couldn't face going. Since then I've got a full time job and so now even though I feel more able to cope with treatment, I couldn't fit it in. I don't want to take regular time off work as I'd have to explain it to my boss...

I just wondered if anyone had any suggestions of alternative ways of getting help. Tried hypnotherapy but didn't feel it made a lasting difference. Obviously I need something that can be done outside of work hours.

Hi HotCheeks,

You can try Acceptance & Commitment Therapy (ACT). ACT can be done thru some self-help workbooks like Get Out of Your Mind & Into Your Life or The Worry Trap: How to Free Yourself from Worry & Anxiety using ACT. Before I found ACT I had been to many shrinks and tried many meds and CBT. But ACT is the only thing that really has helped.

TAMPA-BAY

Wow when I read your coment about your doctor I had to shake my head in disgust cause a similar thing happened to me with my doctor.

After years of self help which was working I dicided to finaly ask my doctor about anxiety and to my supprised he told me to set goals. I was like what? All the schooling and thats the best answer he could give me. I can tell you that will be the last time I see that doctor again. I guess it good that he didnt just blindly put me on meds but I was expecting a better answer.

My expierence has show me that we are going to have to be our own doctors cause the outside world aren't even aware that we exist.

nesh

Sounds like the sort of thing a Zen master would tell his student.

I heard a story once... about a guy with all these problems who traveled half way across the world to see this really good therapist and when he finally got to see him he poured his heart out, told the therapist all his problems and the therapist replied: so what? We've all got problems. XD

I disagree with your doctors response but in many cases that response can hit a nerve and make the person think twice about their problems. I don't think it would help me, it would make me loose all hope, after finally plucking up the courage to see a doctor, feeling that it is the only hope you have and he says that. :roll:

As for what you can do for your SA, the general response to getting help for SA is Cognitive Behavioral Therapy & Self Help Books/Exercises. Personally I don't have the motivation or confidence for self help.

Good luck!