Getting a JOB.

shynobody

SleepingBeauty said:

but let me tell you. i worked at that gottschalks store for 3 weeks (saturday was my last day) at it wasnt that bad. and i worked the cash register bascially the whole time. and i had to deal with customers ALL DAY LONG. Even rude ones. One almost made me cry. First day i was a nervous wreck and i didnt know what the hell i was doing. but i eventually caught on and i began to relax. i actually enjoyed myself a little, kinda wish i could stay longer! LOL. i really cant beleive i survived it and liked it. its strange but great at the same time.
now i know where you work :twisted: :twisted: :p...well at least where you used to lol.

work sucks!!! i'd rather drink poison lol.

depressed4life - gosh...your mom is mean!...like mine. i think anyone under 18 should be able to make their own choices on working without being harassed. 16 is early...you should be focused on school. sorry...i havent read the whole thread...but does your mom know you have SA? my mother got me started at 14...grrrr lol...and look where it's gotten me :oops: :( lol.

apple85

awww bless you i feel so bad for you. I have almost all the symptoms too although in the last 2 yrs they have been steadily improving. I am too scared to get a job as well-ive just finished two temporary jobs which I got through agencies- now I feel traumatised by the thought of having to go to yet ANOTHER interview and start again at ANOTHER place. Its just so scary having to fit in at another place and talking to people I would really rather not have to. I just cant be bothered. I want to stay like this forever! I have such bad social anxiety that it was practically avoidant personality disorder for years, it has only started to lift in the last two yrs and since I turned 20. Try looking up avaidant personality disorder on the internet as you sound pretty depressed and it is a very depressing state to be in. Try going to ur doctor-i did and I have some anti anxiety pills that I have never taken but know I can if it gets too bad. I just feel really bad for you, if ur familys being nasty about it then it cant help. Just take ur time and dont listen to them, tell them that they are not helping and that if they want you to get a job then they better stop. You could even say that unless all comments are stopped then you will not even try. If they forget then simply blackmail them by saying that you refuse to get a job until they stop, and that if they want you to get one then they will have to stop. Its their choice and make sure they know it. Good luck! also, try to get a job where you might be able to help cure ur social phobia a bit- I found that working in a card shop really helped me to be more confident and chatty even when I wasnt feeling it-becuase you are meeting customers but only for a few seconds at a time. Hope it all works our for you, you are still really young and when I was 16 I thought things would never change. But even in the space of 6 yrs (im now 22), a lot has and so has my outlook. Dont worry and dont think u can predict the rest of ur life-u cant, and it can get better!

Thanks. My mom or my parents they don't understand anything. My mom yells at me that i am crazy and that i need to see a psychologist because she doesn't understand me. Pretty much, since i am depress i get moody easily and well my mom, my dad and my mom's family caused my depression/anxiety and social phobia. She's going to make an appoinment for me for a regular check up so i will just take that advantage and tell the doc if i can speak to her privately and tell her that i need a psychologist.

Livingwithoutlivin

I got super anxious when I worked at a fast food restaurant too. I was cashier, but I was super perfect at hiding it when my mom and boyfriend dropped by. It was like a had this will inside of me that was stronger to impress and show that I was an able person, that made me not show a trace of fear.

It didn't show too much though, but I hated the job but at the same time I was more sane when on my off days. So it's like the job made me sane by boosting my self esteem that I could do something, and then also that I could have a real fear of going to work, so that when I got home I'd just be glad and happy to be anywhere other than work. I was also a nicer person to my bf at that time.

Depressed4life said:
my family constantly puts me down because i am the only one in the house that doesn't work.

At 16? The vast majority of people don't have a job at 16. I never had one until 20 and didn't have a regular one until 23, and that's pretty normal. They should let you focus on school.

As far as no-experience/no-education jobs that aren't social nightmares, I did inventories (for RGIS) for a summer when I was 20. It's the most boring thing you can possibly imagine (count the number of nails in Lowe's), but there's virtually no talking so the social aspect is easy. And if you have a pulse and they need people, they'll hire you without an interview.

lilcharlie

Depressed4life said:
Hello,i am 16 years old i just recently found out that i had social phobia by researching online and findind that i have almost all the signs and symptoms.I am terrified to get a job but i need one badly and my family constantly puts me down because i am the only one in the house that doesn't work.I get attack and they tell me that i am slow and that i will never be able to hold a job for a long time.

You're only 16 don't worry about it. If I had a 16 yr old kid that didn't work, I wouldn't even fret, you're in school, so just chill out. Hold off working as long as you can, most jobs sucks anyway unless you fall in the 5-15% percentile range.

emale2

social phobia work

to make some extra money in my spare time to save more. I've been making a good $300-400 / month. I do surveys and offers on http://www.cashcrate.com/996129 . This economy is so tough to get a job in these days. The best part is i don't have to deal with people this way.

weak

Depressed4life said:
my family constantly puts me down because i am the only one in the house that doesn't work.I get attack and they tell me that i am slow and that i will never be able to hold a job for a long time.

I know what that's like. It really sucks. Makes you feel worthless and incompetent.

I tried to explain my situation to my parents but they would always dismiss everything I said with a simple "too bad, that's life". Unfortunately there's a lot of truth to that. Everyone's gotta work, it's not multiple choice.