First Time in 7 Years No Sweat!! Wow!!!

Mozart22

I've had hyperhidrosis for about 7 years. It started right around the time I started taking Paxil for social anxiety. I strongly suspect that Paxil is what caused my extreme sweating. A few months ago I successfully stopped taking
Paxil but I'm still waiting for the crazy sweating to stop. I sweat all over but the worst is the face and forehead because it's the hardest to hide. It's there for all to see.

Now to those people who say that being nervous and anxious causing the sweating, yes that's true but it's also true that plenty of other things cause it too. I could be all alone in a room, no stress or anxiety, but if the weather is hot and humid I will sweat VERY much. Also if I do even mild physical activity like walk for 10 minutes or go up stairs, it makes me sweat a lot. So this is not just an anxiety thing, even alone I will sweat like crazy.

Anyway I had tried Avert (Robinul/glycopyrolate) a few times before and never noticed any significant effect. A few days ago I decided to test it out again, just in case. It's not like I had anything else to help my extreme sweating. Maybe just maybe this time it would work. So I took 4 mg of Avert
on an empty stomach and waited 2 hours without eating. I went out to buy groceries and noticed that my hands were very dry. This is good! My hands are usually sweaty and clammy. Then as I walked around the supermarket I noticed that my forehead and face were dry.

Usually when I do any physical activity like walking up and down the many aisles of a supermarket, I get rather sweaty by the time I'm at the checkout counter. I have to wipe off the sweat several times. But this time that was not the case. I could not believe it. This hadn't happened in 7 years. There I was walking around pushing a cart and all and I was bone dry!

I got giddy and started walking all over the supermarket just for the hell of it. When I got back home, I realized that I had forget to buy something, so decided to go to the 7-Eleven which is a 12 minute walk from my house. Normally even this 12 minute walk would make me pretty sweaty, but not this time, I was bone dry.

So I'm very, very pleased to have experienced this thanks to the 4mg of Avert. But I also consider this to be only a moderate victory for a few reasons. First of all I don't think I can start taking Avert everyday because I've heard from people that it can wear off over time. It's well known that when you take a drug for long periods of time, you body gets used to it and it won't work as well as before. Also it comes with a few minor side effects like dry throat and dry mouth. Having a dry mouth often leads to lots of cavities because your teeth need plenty of saliva. Also Avert is a bit expensive. I've also heard that sometimes it will work and sometimes it won't??? It didn't work for me the first few times I tried it but this time it did, so maybe the results can be inconsistent sometimes.

It feels really good to have something to help out for special days or special events but for most days I will likely have to go without it.

mattbarneswillkillu

I got giddy and started walking all over the supermarket just for the hell of it.

Comedy. haha I know exactly what your talkin about. I like to talk to randoms when i'm feeling like this, just to treat myself while being dry!

Walmart&Target needs should to put robinul on the shelves and start rolling back prices.

Mozart22

Comedy. haha I know exactly what your talkin about. I like to talk to randoms when i'm feeling like this, just to treat myself while being dry!

Walmart&Target needs should to put robinul on the shelves and start rolling back prices.

Exactly. When you are dry you make the most out of it because you know it's not gonna last. Now that the Avert/Robinul seems to work for me I think
I'm going to pick a certain day, take it early in the morning, and spend the whole day just walking around, having fun, socializing, etc. People who don't suffer from facial hyperhidrosis will wonder what's so special about that. But for those of us who have this condition, being able to spend an entire day just going around and living your life normally is a really big deal. Like I said I haven't been able to do this in years. It's going to be really weird to just walk around, talk to people, do whatever and have a consistently dry forehead and face.

Alas this will only be possible on special days because I don't want to take it everyday and risk losing its effect.

Last edited:

margiehope

First, I'm so happy for you. I wonder why you didn't have success other times--but then HH is a
totally weird condition.
I've been taking Avert for several years with no loss of effect. Dry mouth sometimes, but there are ways to deal with that. You'll make your own choices, but in the meantime--it really does
seem like a miracle, doesn't it?

Mozart22

First, I'm so happy for you. I wonder why you didn't have success other times--but then HH is a
totally weird condition.
I've been taking Avert for several years with no loss of effect. Dry mouth sometimes, but there are ways to deal with that. You'll make your own choices, but in the meantime--it really does
seem like a miracle, doesn't it?

how often do you take Avert? Everyday? 3 times per week?
Do you take 4mg on an empty stomach?

margiehope

how often do you take Avert? Everyday? 3 times per week?
Do you take 4mg on an empty stomach?

I take it every day UNLESS it's fairly cool, I'm staying in, or I'm not going to exercise.

I take 4 mg or, if it's really hot and humid, 6. I try to take it at least an hour before eating. The instructions I got, long ago, were "Up to 8 mg in divided doses. One hour before or two hours after eating."

averagejoe

I take it every day UNLESS it's fairly cool, I'm staying in, or I'm not going to exercise.

I don't think it's necessary to take glycopyrrolate for excercising. Even though my shirt would be soaked halfway through when I'm only on the treadmill for 30 minutes, I don't really mind. I always have that mind set that everyone's gotta sweat sometime, and I think it helps boost your morale from always trying to hide hyperhidrosis. I think excercise is the only time where I'm not afraid to reveal my sweat.

margiehope

I don't think it's necessary to take glycopyrrolate for excercising. Even though my shirt would be soaked halfway through when I'm only on the treadmill for 30 minutes, I don't really mind. I always have that mind set that everyone's gotta sweat sometime, and I think it helps boost your morale from always trying to hide hyperhidrosis. I think excercise is the only time where I'm not afraid to reveal my sweat.

I can't stand "sweathead", plus the routine I do involves machines, some of which you put your head on.I well remember the days before glyco--headbands (OK, really), carting a towel to protect others from my sweat--yuck.

Still, I agree with you to a point--it's OK to sweat (a little) while exercising--most people do. Being "normal" is fine.

Piglet Boy

I take 1MG, but i've been off of it for about a few months since I went the benzo route. I am planning on going back to this because I do not want to be on benzos.