Finding help

openthink

I live in the Kansas City area and I'm struggling with social phobia and extreme shyness. I finally decided to get some help and start going to therapy, but I don't know how to go about it. How do I find a good therapist, someone that will really want to help me get better? Is there a web site with reviews by other patients where I can look for one? Any tips/help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Noca

Banned
Start with talking to your GP about your anxiety and ask for a local anxiety clinic.

Lexine

Hi openthink,
Firstly, that is great news that you have made the decision to see a therapist and do something about your anxiety! :)

I am a clinical psychologist in Australia and I work in the Centre for Emotional Health which provides treatment for people with social anxiety. I don't know of anyone in your area, but there are some American Psychological Association referral services that may be able to help you. You could try:
APA Help Center - Find A Psychologist
Association for Psychological Science: Psychology Links

For social anxiety, the treatment that has shown to be most effective is cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). So I would recommend that you find a qualified psychologist or clinical psychologist who has experience using CBT to help people with social anxiety. It is ok to be a bit choosy, as it is important to find someone qualified who you are comfortable with. I agree with Noca that speaking with your GP and asking about local anxiety clinics can be a good place to start.
All the best,
Lexine