Finally decided to come out..

enchantress24

Well, I've been depressed for about 10 years and haven't told many people. I haven't been in many relationships due to my depression. It just makes it very hard to connect with others. About 6 months ago, I met the man of my dreams..so to say. We have the perfect relationship...I love him and he loves me but I had never had the courage to admit that I suffer from depression. I've been able to hide it well but we all know that doesn't work for very long and it usually ends up showing at some point. So I decided to be honest with him and explain my situation. I was very honest about how feel and how I sometimes feel very suicidal. He didn't take it well. It was almost like I created this wall between me and him and I'm just completely devastated because I don't know if he wants to be with anymore. I know if he leaves me, it would be the end of me. Meeting him has been one of the best things to happen to me and I feel like all that is about to disappear. I'm already depressed...how can I cope with getting my heart severly broken? I don't think I will survive that and I'm really scared.

Nack

Banned
If the guy is really the man of your dream and not just there to get in your pants. Then i would hope that he would help you overcome your depression. I mean if he leaves you because of that then he's a jackass :\

Harleyq

He's probably just worried about you and doesn't know how to deal with it. I mean - admitting you have depression and that you're suicidal at times is a scary thing to learn and a damned big bomb to drop on someone who probably thought he knew you very well.

Nack's right, if he's really the one, he won't leave you. Personally, I don't think he will. I think he's just been put into a very serious, awkward position and needs time to adjust.

Maybe you can try talking to him - ask him if he's alright and that you've noticed that he's distanced himself since you opened up to him and now you're worried. My bf does that - when he's troubled he gets distant and won't tell me until I come out and say "I know something's wrong, you're acting like you're bothered. What's up?"

Last edited:

enchantress24

He's probably just worried about you and doesn't know how to deal with it. I mean - admitting you have depression and that you're suicidal at times is a scary thing to learn and a damned big bomb to drop on someone who probably thought he knew you very well.

Nack's right, if he's really the one, he won't leave you. Personally, I don't think he will. I think he's just been put into a very serious, awkward position and needs time to adjust.

Exactly the same words he told me. He felt like i dropped a big bomb on him and he's mostly worried about me. But doesnt honesty count too?? i mean..if it was him that was depressed, i would do anything to help him and support him. i would never dump anyone over it. just out of curiosity, why do u say u personally think he won't leave me?? i need all the hope i can get.

Harleyq

Exactly the same words he told me. He felt like i dropped a big bomb on him and he's mostly worried about me. But doesnt honesty count too?? i mean..if it was him that was depressed, i would do anything to help him and support him. i would never dump anyone over it. just out of curiosity, why do u say u personally think he won't leave me?? i need all the hope i can get.

Idk exactly why I believe he won't leave..it's just a gut feeling. Plus I trust you when you say he's a good guy. If he were the type to leave you over something like that, I think you'd have known by now.

Honesty definitely counts, and he's probably really glad that you told him. He just needs to get used to it first. He's got to get the initial shock and worry that he's experiencing out of his system before he can give you all the support he can. Right now, it's kind of like expecting a tripod to support a camera before the legs have been stretched out and secured in place.

He probably needs your support, too. He could probably use some reassurance that you're not planning to commit suicide any time soon and he also needs to know that his behavior is worrying you and that you hope he would support you.

enchantress24

Idk exactly why I believe he won't leave..it's just a gut feeling. Plus I trust you when you say he's a good guy. If he were the type to leave you over something like that, I think you'd have known by now.

Honesty definitely counts, and he's probably really glad that you told him. He just needs to get used to it first. He's got to get the initial shock and worry that he's experiencing out of his system before he can give you all the support he can. Right now, it's kind of like expecting a tripod to support a camera before the legs have been stretched out and secured in place.

He probably needs your support, too. He could probably use some reassurance that you're not planning to commit suicide any time soon and he also needs to know that his behavior is worrying you and that you hope he would support you.

Thanks for your reply. I really really appreciate it and it made me feel better.I did tell him that I don't plan on commiting suicide and I've already started on medication for my depression so hopefully he takes that into consideration. I've literally been in agony over it. Like I said, i'm already feeling miserable and him breaking up with me would be like adding insult to injury. Unfortunately, I won't get to talk to him until the weekend because of our work schedules. I don't know how I'm gonna make it through this whole week.

Harleyq

I don't know how I'm gonna make it through this whole week.

One breath at a time :)

If it makes you feel better, I've gone up to 2 weeks without speaking to my bf. He was having a mental breakdown of sorts and ran off to stay with a friend for 2 weeks and wouldn't really talk to me at all. I was literally crying and anxious every night - couldn't sleep, couldn't eat, couldn't concentrate.

Then he finally calls me all happy as if nothing was wrong and like nothing ever happened. He told me "I had some stuff to take care of and I didn't wanna tell you cause I didn't want you to worry about me" :rolleyes:

Guys....