Feel better telling friend but not mum?

Flyingheart

It might sound like a silly thing to worry about cos if you feel better it doesn't matter right? Well I told my friend all (mostly) about my SA though I didn't name it as such. I've kept about how I was feeling for 4 years from her. I don't know why, I just felt like it was impossible to open up to anybody about this strange thing I was feeling (I didn't know it was S.A)

After one year of feeling unsure about what I had, SA, depression or just plain anxiety, I told my mum after I realised this wasn't a normal problem that would just go away. Although I told her I never really felt better after that, in fact I fell into an even greater depression for approx. a week until resuming my normal worry-filled days.
But when I told my friend, I felt suddenly better.She was very understanding like my mum was but I don't know why telling her made me feel better when my mum didn't. I feel really guilty about it...
I suddenly am able to think more positively about things and though it's still hard, I don't feel that people are judging me as much. My mum told me those exact things, to not care what others' think but when she told me it was like they passed right over my head, I knew what I had to do but I couldn't act on it, if that makes sense.
My friend didn't even tell me anything I didn't already know but the fact that I spilled everything to her made me feel better.

I told my mum yesterday that I was feeling better (before then, I never went up to her to tell her anything or very rarely as I was afraid of becoming upset) She just said thanks for telling me and for some weird reason, I felt very ashamed and guilty for everything, afraid of disappointing her. She felt almost like a stranger to me because I hadn't truly talked to her for 6 years since my SA started. Was it because I'd bottled everything up inside and never told her my feelings? I'm really confused.

If anyone got to the end of this, I'd be glad for any advice ^_^ thanks.

Last edited: