Family breakdowns and anxiety

Trez

I don't know whether or not anyone else has been experiencing this, but I know for a fact that my anxiety revolves around my family and a serious breakdown in relationships within it.
It's only recently been dawning on me that it's now seven years since my parents split up and subsequently divorced and I don't think I could be any more neurotic and hopeless.
I used to be confident enough to get along in life and do everything I needed to. I had a beautiful girlfriend who in a way I kinda still love but I realise that we weren't meant to be. I used to express my sense of humour but find myself just being a spectator now; I don't express my true nature like I used to and am finding myself to be depersonalised most of the time, unless I'm drunk!!. The list goes on.....
I don't know whether or not most people realise just how debilitating any form of anxiety can be -- you imprison yourself, and the worst thing about it is the "Who's to blame for this?" factor. When I blame myself I only get more self-indulgent and retreat from the world more, and at the same time, my mum, who I now live with, throws a stampede of verbal abuse at me. I can't tell you how much this hurts and I wish she'd stop, because it's this and only seeing my dad every once in a blue moon that's fucking me up.
At the moment I'm desperately trying to move out and get a place of my own, but it may be a fair while due to finances.
I would love to hear from anyone else that's in a similar situation because I honestly believe that your family and what happens within it can sometimes be the most terrifying trigger for anxiety attacks.

Cheers,

Trez.

Slash

Trez said:
I don't know whether or not anyone else has been experiencing this, but I know for a fact that my anxiety revolves around my family and a serious breakdown in relationships within it.
It's only recently been dawning on me that it's now seven years since my parents split up and subsequently divorced and I don't think I could be any more neurotic and hopeless.
I used to be confident enough to get along in life and do everything I needed to. I had a beautiful girlfriend who in a way I kinda still love but I realise that we weren't meant to be. I used to express my sense of humour but find myself just being a spectator now; I don't express my true nature like I used to and am finding myself to be depersonalised most of the time, unless I'm drunk!!. The list goes on.....
I don't know whether or not most people realise just how debilitating any form of anxiety can be -- you imprison yourself, and the worst thing about it is the "Who's to blame for this?" factor. When I blame myself I only get more self-indulgent and retreat from the world more, and at the same time, my mum, who I now live with, throws a stampede of verbal abuse at me. I can't tell you how much this hurts and I wish she'd stop, because it's this and only seeing my dad every once in a blue moon that's fucking me up.
At the moment I'm desperately trying to move out and get a place of my own, but it may be a fair while due to finances.
I would love to hear from anyone else that's in a similar situation because I honestly believe that your family and what happens within it can sometimes be the most terrifying trigger for anxiety attacks.

Cheers,

Trez.

I find that gradual family breakdowns, lack of overall family contact, divorce of parents, constant arguein, have left there affect on me, both inside and outside of the house. I place partly blame on them and myself, We've all been somewhat through difficultys my mother 2 nervous breakdowns.

I've somewhat been fortunate to acquire my own flat at the start of this week , while arrangin finances has worried me an problem for the first few works, but i'd say that i've got more done this week than i have in a very very long while. It's a risk in some ways but a risk i want to take, staying at home was sending me slowly mad and more depressive.

I'm glad that there is some space between us now. It's certainly isn't nice to notice the atmosphere under the same roof,

anyways wish u luck with finding your own place. i certainly think that my relations with my family will improve on moving out.

hamandcheese

I can definitely relate to this and it's good to know others are i the same position. My parents seperated when I was 5 (21 now). The family structure changed from that point on and my mother has never really come to terms with living an independent life.

I'm in college now so I won't be moving out for a number of years, but if I had the chance I'd take it asap. There's a lot of tension in my house and it's pretty much always been there.

I find that I can get so frustrated with my mother, my brothers who should've moved out long ago and a load of nephews crowding the house. I know that a lot of the anxiety I feel comes from living in the family home.

I would most definitely benefit from moving out, and I feel that until I do my own independence will be curbed somewhat. I'd love to be able to approach my family from a distance as I feel I'd get on a lot better with them.

Good luck with trying to find a place of your own!

trys

Family breakdowns and anxiety (new addy)

Cheers,

Trez.