ETS Surgery ?? Confusion

surfsider

So i know i've posted on here before about ETS surgery, but I'm getting very irritated with this surgery. It seems that for some this is like a miracle and for others a death sentence, I just don't get it. Look at this statement i pulled from wikipedia

"the only empirical study on sweat before and after ETS demonstrated that the procedure increases total body sweating."

If that is true it's just ridiculous that this surgery is offered at a cure. It seems that all this surgery does is move the sweating to other parts of the body. I don't see how its possible to target just the hands either without cutting off sweating to the armpits and the head too.

I'm just sick of hearing different testimonials a lot of bad and good and I don't know what to think anymore. ARe there any of you who've had ets for moderate palmar hyperhidrosis that are still happy with it?

This surgery needs to be looked at thoroughly because its effects seem to go beyond just stopping sweating in a certain part of the body

kingflab

The problem with ETS is that its side-effects aren't immediate. The reason there are so many great supportive testimonials is that lots of people have the surgery, enjoy the results, and then say how good it is. 6 months to 2 years later and they have massive compensatory sweating (among other problems).

Its a good money-making surgery, which is probably why so much research goes into it and nothing else.

The short end of it is, ETS is bad, very bad. It's risks just don;t outweigh its positives and the effects can't be predicted for anyone. It can work, and it can work well, but over time the side-effects begin to show.

blabla

I really would advice against it. I make a HUGE deal out of HH and I literally ran to the phone to call mum when I first heard about ETS on tv. And she had me talk to a lot of doctors and they all said "Absolutely no!". Then, being a stubborn little bitch, I said "To hell with them" and I kept searching the net to find more info and testimonials about ETS, and after one year of searching, I've found nothing but criticisms and stories of regret.

It's too much of a health risk and since it's a new technique long-term effects are unknown, you have a very short time for the removal of the clamps, reflex sweating is totally scary (some people start sweating in the buttocks - and bad!), it was banned in its birthplace, all the docs except the ones who do the surgery advice against it.

So, I'd say don't do it. Too many cons.

kingflab

surfsider said:
yea it's just frustrating because it seems like half the people say it's totally worth it and they recommend it, while the other half say to stay away at all costs and to never consider it.

I guess it's an unpredictable gamble that differs in results from person to person.

I just don't understand why the surgeons can't agree on what T- level to clamp or cut and why it's so heavily advertised as a ''cure'' when it seems to just shift the sweating from the hands to somewhere else.

My HH is moderate though so unless it kicks up more I won't consider this option I'm almost 22 so i hope this doesn't get worse.

As i said, one of the reasons there are so many good testimonials is that most people write them before they've had time to develope any side effects. I guarantee most people would retract their statements now.

As for the T-levels, I'd argue that most surgeons are still trying to keep ETS in the debate (simply due to its financial value) and the only way to do that is to keep arguing about how to make it better. The day they all accept that its a bloody aweful technique to use is the day they all start to lose a hell of a lot of money.

kingflab

Botox doesn't always lessen over time, it simply depends on whether your body builds an immunity to it. I imagine the new type of botox without needles is a references to applying botox using an iontophoresis machine - apparently it lasts for a couple of months though.

Its not all bad chaps.

Iontophoresis works for hands, as does botox, as do anti-perspirants (for some people), and there's even a climbing gel which can be used (although it does make your fingers look a bit shrivvled).

As for the underrms, botox works, ionto can work, curettage/lipo works, and antiperspirants can work.

As for the feet. again there's antiperspirants, iontophoresis, and I imagine botox applied through ionotophoresis would work too.

Sure_whynot

Bro, think half a second about it...

Do you think anyone lurking these forums have cured their HH?

Why would someone who got this shit put behind them waste time posting here?

Thats why everyone here is complaining about it, MOST people who have cured their HH are out living their lives.

Im personally going to get the surgery after my lame insurance company gets the paper work done. My advice is not to ask for any. Ironic... i know.

Remeber 1-3% of the population has this problem, the % of those people your talking too here are amongst the best & worst of those.

Its not a war, dont choose a side. just decide if your strong enough to take the chance. and if that chance is worth the reward.

Later.

ps. not trying to offend anyone. Your voices are loud and i respect them, but their not the only ones.

Sure_whynot

Who would have imagined that an advertisement would ever be bias?

Use your common scene bro, I know you've got it.

"'I've heard of people complaining of emotional changes, hair loss, fatigue and a bunch of other side effects that may become apparent after some time. "

Emotional changes: come with any risk like this.

Hair loss: chances are its not hair loss in a 18 year old kid... If your older and its in your genes dont expect any HH treatments to prevent that from happening.

Fatigue: can be from so many things i dont even feel like listing any.

My point being that you cant take those facts at face value. Each can be logically explained & dismissed.

---

I'd personally leave it to the toss of a coin, odds are 1 of the 2 of us will be cured.

How lucky are you feeling? haha

---

For the record... I've edited pages on Wikipedia... Not HH pages... but its just another point... People no better then you and me were the ones who wrote all of that.

---

Again, you make good points. But "you can only prove as much as i can disprove."

---

Question everything bro.

Sure_whynot

It may seem very controversial to you and me, but think back to when you didnt have HH or think of someone who isn't effected by it.

The controversial world of Excessive sweating treatments and surgery statistics. Seem somewhat less controversial. dont they?

I'll be the first to admit that if i never had this disorder, i wouldn't give two shits about it.

--

That is exactly the point i want to make clear. Form your own opinion because you shouldn't leave your future in anyone elses hands.

--

welcome to the conundrum of HH ;]

Sure_whynot

I feel you bro, Im 18 and mines pretty severe.

I'd estimate mine is about 8/10 or 9/10.

although, who am i to say? I've never even met anyone in my whole life who's heard of the disorder.

I'd flip a coin to turn my half-life into a full life or a no life.

But, each man to his own.

Sure_whynot

Haha, I knew you were worth talking to.

Everything's relative to your situation. Everything.

Very valid points, and i agree with you.

just another never ending potentially problematic process the human race has enslaved itself in.

god were awesome.

Alvinsduckie

i had an agent from the US department of personnel management visit me for a statement shortly before the FBI sting in California. he said the FBI would come talk to me again--never did,

all they wanted was my *help*, then threw me away.

*typical*

BiGz

Sure_whynot said:
Bro, think half a second about it...

Do you think anyone lurking these forums have cured their HH?

Why would someone who got this shit put behind them waste time posting here?

Thats why everyone here is complaining about it, MOST people who have cured their HH are out living their lives.

Im personally going to get the surgery after my lame insurance company gets the paper work done. My advice is not to ask for any. Ironic... i know.

Remeber 1-3% of the population has this problem, the % of those people your talking too here are amongst the best & worst of those.

Its not a war, dont choose a side. just decide if your strong enough to take the chance. and if that chance is worth the reward.

Later.

ps. not trying to offend anyone. Your voices are loud and i respect them, but their not the only ones.

I'd say majority of people only think about going to their doc for diagnosis and treatment. Most would not consider researching the internet and really why would they? Normally you take a doctors opinion as gospel, if he says this is the only sure way to fix the problem who are you to argue?

I'm sure as hell glad I decided to do some research. First thing I did was search sweat to see what my problem was and thats how I discovered I had HH, than I found that all the sites in my search offered ETS as a cure so basically I went to my GP thinking my only cure was ETS. It wasn't after more research I came across the forums etc. I could easily see someone doing what I did and sign the form for surgery before coming across alternative treatments and the true facts about ETS.

Sure_why not is right. Perfectly said. Dont run off and live your life after the surgery without letting us know how it goes. I have been on the fence for a few years now and all Im waiting on is insurance too. Im going for it.
Good luck

kingflab

Sure_why not is right. Perfectly said. Dont run off and live your life after the surgery without letting us know how it goes. I have been on the fence for a few years now and all Im waiting on is insurance too. Im going for it.
Good luck

No he's not. He's just looking for a quick fix to a desperate problem.

I do wonder, have you guys tried every other possible solution? There's medication, shit loads of anti-perspirants, Botox, Iontophoresis, and Curettage. If you wan't to take such a major gamble, go ahead, it doesn't make either Sure_Why Not or yourself right, or brave, it just makes you desperate.

Last edited:

BiGz

Good luck

Sounds kind of contradictory to what hes been saying lol. As in 'why hang around the forums just get on with our lives to hell with the others'

Last edited:

cm123

I just don't get ETS surgery. a lot of people i've talked to are really happy with it. Are the one's that have side effects only a small minority???? If All those patient testimonials are real, then obviously the surgery is doing just as much good as bad if not more good. I don't know what to believe

ETS is a last resort measure. Please try "Glyco", Ionto, or Botox first. Ionto is 99.9% safe! Botox is about 98% safe! Glyco will work but it has its side effects....

HH

you should really try other methods first before even thinking about ETS surgery. ETS is a last resort. If your sweating is fairly mild then try ionto first-give it a go for a few months-yes its a pain in the ass having to do it 1-2 times a week but I'd rather do that (which I do) then mess up my body completely with ETS.

"Yea but ionto takes a lot of time and what do you tell someone like a girl you start living with or something. O yea this tub is for my hands?"

Everyone has different things to deal with and if you explain it to people properly there're normally understanding, if not then its there problem. Just be open about it.

cm123

Try Botox it can last up to 6 months and only takes 15mins to get it done! Insurance covers it, and it is safe and 98% effective. It has changed my life! Have you tried Glyco?