Effexor XR

Muslimah

Hey Everyone,
Just wanted to see if there is anyone else taking Effexor XR?
I was diagnosed with SAD three weeks ago and was put on Effexor XR.
I was curious as to how long it takes to really feel any different...i was on 75mg a day but didnt notice any changes...saw my doctor yesterday and she has told me to take two a day now so ill be on 150mg a day. Really hoping it doesnt zonk me out...i had a really bad first couple of days with side effects...but they have settled down now....do they come bak wen you increse the dosage?
Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!

Tara

Off The Wall

I tried this, i lasted a week the side effects were crazy!! how long did it take til yours settled down? and yes very normal for you to have the side effects again after you've increased your dosage..

it usually takes at least one month for the drug to take effect often longer sometimes it doesn't work you'll just have to keep trying til you find the right one for you unfortunately. I've heard some really positive stories with Effexor XR i'd say wait another few weeks and if you still don't notice any change just go back to the doctor they might prescribe you something else, i wouldnt go any higher then taking 150mg though..not for social anxiety anyway but hey thats up to your doctor not me.

its different for every person though so i can't really say, I'm actually going to start taking it again try and deal with the side effects for me it felt like the drug wore off at night? i took it at about 10 in the morning (75mg) and by like 8 at night i felt like it had wore off and i couldn't wait til the next morning to take the next dose! sleeping was crazy i was so tired but couldnt sleeep. I might take it twice daily this time though see what happens (morning and night)

anyway yeah i can't really help sorry, but if you don't feel any different soon just go back to the doctor they might give you something else instead...

Muslimah

Hey Off_The_Wall :)
Thanks for your reply!!
Yeh the first couple of days were CRAZY....i could sleep either...my eyes were sooo tired but i couldnt sleep....finally after i did...in the morning very early i just hot awake and was all groggy. But after about a week or two they settled down completely. The not sleeping only last a couple of days...then its fine. The same happened when i doubled my dose...first night couldnt sleep...but now im fine again :) The only thing i still get is i get hot really easily...so i have to make sure i drink water and stuff....but its all good now :)

I take mine at 4pm....so then if i feel a lil groggy or anything its just wen im at home at night...so i feel good when i wake up in the morning. Just make sure you take two tablets at once...you cant take like on in the morning and one at night...it needs to be at once. I honestly feel fine now...its been four weeks...its all settled.

I havent noticed a bit change with my anxiety...but everything else has settled done...now just giving it some time :) Let me know how you go!!

xox

Noca

Banned
Everyone i know thats on Effexor XR or who was on it, HATED the drug with a passion. Its withdrawals are legendary. Be warned.

shrnwarks

Quite surprised by the negative feedback from Effexor. I've been taking it for 5 years now and think that it has improved my life greatly....yes it does have its down sides but overall this medication has really worked for me. Im so much more social now than i was before starting Effexox and my depression lifted too. I cant remember any side effects from when i first started taking them but if i miss a dose i know about it! I start to withdraw which isn't good at all! Also if i miss any depression kicks in big time! Taken correctly, they work for me :)

shrnwarks

also....i do get hot while on these but not at night....i only have to walk in to the next room and back and can be sweating

SammyT

I've been taking Effexor for about 4-5 months - I got some pretty good effects after the first few weeks - I had this willingness to be social and actually wanted to talk to people. I'm not sure if this was some freaky side effect, but I thought it miught have been a glimpse at how it could make me feel. I'm now on 150mg and i'm not sure what its doing...the depression feels like its coming back, the anxiety has been dulled very slightly. I was really hopeful for effexor to work and I hope that maybe going up to 225mg tomorrow could be the bump I need with it. Otherwise withdrawal hell and where do I go from then!

Ah meds are fun!
Has anybody with experience of effexor not quite working then gone onto something else which did?

Oh yeah i'm also doing CBT which I find is good. Definately wise to have talking therapy with medication. A shame that as i'm progressing things seem to be getting a bit worse than better :/