Drama School, anyone?

Blundetto

Hey guys, hope all is well, I was just wondering if anyone here could give me any advice on getting into a decent drama school, as lately I've been thinking about getting back into acting as at this point I seriously need something exciting in my life.
I did drama gcse in high school and loved it, I always wanted to be an actor and filmmaker, despite my parents warnings that it's a very hard profession to get into and that I should of set my sights on something more 'grounded', my only ambition when I was younger was to get into acting and thought nothing could stop me...but I messed up my final year at high school, didn't take my exams seriously, didn't get the marks I needed to get into a film course at college, and was suddenly thrown into the cruel 'real world'.
That's when my life started going downhill by the way, my life didn't take the turns I was so positive it would while I was in school.Perhaps you could of called me a dreamer, hell I still am,lol.
Anyway, I live in the Manchester area, and was wondering about any close by drama schools, and was also wondering about what kind of fees are required to get in.
I'm also trying to come up with ideas for a sitcom/comedy/drama I'm trying to write at the moment too, my main inspirations being shows like The Office, Extras, and Curb Your Enthusiasm...

maggie

hey Blundetto...i don't know anything about drama school..sorry..and drama school would definitely be on my top 10 list of things that scare the crap out of me..so i think you are so brave to do this...good for you.......good luck to you :)

Blundetto

I wouldn't have a problem acting with other people, as long as I really liked the role, as it's something I feel passionatly about. Plus it wouldn't really be me, I'd be someone else, adopting another character's personality and attitude.
It's kinda like the great Robert De Niro, he's been known to be a very quiet and introvertive person in real life, and a great quote was said by writer Paul Schrader, who wrote Taxi Driver & Raging Bull, he said about De Niro:
"Robert only truly exists in someone else's skin..."
Kinda saying he comes to life when 'being' someone else, in character.

benihana

Go for it!! I know thats not the help you're really looking for but I believe acting is an awesome pursuit for the shy at heart. But yes granted the worst nightmare for alot of people, tons of people with their eyes focused on you, a hundred lines/positions/emotional cues in your head, and a nagging thought of "what if I screw up".

Haha, but honestly. When you overcome these fears acting is AAAmazing.

I should follow my own advice and get back into it because it was something that I always enjoyed and let me be light-hearted with all that I do.

Sorry I don't have advice about which Drama school to apply or even how to do it. But I will say, be persistent and always active in your goal. Getting into Film and such maybe challenging and it will be easy to be discouraged. There are avenues you can take before Film/Drama school that you should never filter out of your mind.
1. You can get involved with a community production even if its set design, stage crew, backup cast, etc.
2. You can start a project of your own, think of ideas for a good screen short, film a monologue..etc.
3. You can go do a couple open casting TV or stage auditions..check out the internet for things in your area...maybe Craigslist.com (maybe not a UK site)
4. You can start applying to Film schools and research them

Nothing is unattainable (but I know from personal experience) ones mind will always shut ones dreams down with other peoples thoughts. Use the joy you get from creating and acting to fight off the "naysayers" of your mind and your life.

red_reagel

I think it's definetly a good idea. This year I'm thinking about taking a drama class next year and social dancing :oops: to get over this shyness business. Taking acting classes might help because you can face people more often (an audience) and get used to it.