Does Cognitive behaviour therapy work?

Maarten

I have read a lot of books on the subject of SA/SP, and they al recommend cognitive behavior therapy. But when I scroll through this forum I see a lot of alternative treatments. So I was wondering if anyone has (seriously) tried CBT and experienced no results? (CBT consist of changing thinking patterns and gradually exposing yourself to your fears.)

regards,

Maarten

Emma

I tried it, and it's not a miracle cure, but it does work to a certain extent, I'm still pretty bad, but not like I was before I tried it, I would say give it a try, oh yeah, it's me, Emma, I forgot to sign in :)

Maarten

I have been working on audio CBT sessions (from the SA institute) for 12 weeks now and have experienced minor improvements because of the cognitive part but I haven’t begun with the behavioral part yet. I was thinking that if I just work on it really hard for a long period of time I will be cured. So that if I continue to work on the CBT for a year or 2 my anxiety will be gone eventually. Is this a reasonable expectation or am I kidding myself?

Maarten

It's good to see there's still REBT if CBT doesn't work.

I am from the south, Heerlen to be precise. It's only half an hour from both Belgium and Germany. It's good to see another Dutchman/woman in the forum! :D

TAMPA-BAY

Does cognitive therapy work

-
Its been the only thing that has worked for me cause all my problem starts in my mind. Its in our heads.

Look at how many users on this site think they are ugly or boring; then when you instant message them they are the most amazing people.

The only problem I've had whith this method is catching those automatic thoughts and belief.

Its like my mind is on auto pilot and I have to turn to manual.
I dont know if you know what i mean by auto pilot but check these book out. PRISONER OF BELIEF/DYING OF EMBARRASSMENT/WHEN PERFECT ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH

or just check out the publisher http://www.newharbinger.com/catalog.cfm?CatPos=1