Does anyone know what my mum is suffering from?

wiggle

Hi,

I've wandered over here from the ESFB board and wondered if you can help. At the moment my mum's going through a bout of depression. For me, this diagnosis is too vast and need it to be more specific. Here are the symptoms:

- She finds it very, very hard to get up in the morning. As the day progresses, she feels better. By the following night, she feels well enough to go to work but then, by the next morning, the cycle starts again.

- She worries about more things than she usually would, which triggers panicking.

- She's tired all the time. She can have a good night's sleep (a result of the medication she's on) but still feel tired during the day.

Has anyone else felt this way or could you point me in the right direction?

Many thanks,
Wiggle.

wiggle

Tjalsma said:
Has she recently began taking any medications?

I know she has recently been given a new cocktail of medication, which she's been on for just over a week. It's making her sleep but hasn't improved situations as yet.

Maarten

Those do sound like symptoms of depression. It has the same cause as social anxiety: irrational thinking. And it can be cured by medication and/or cognitive behavior therapy. A very good book on CBT that will be of much help is "Feeling Good" by David burns. The book has been chosen by professionals as the best self help book available. And reading the book has proven to have the same effect as visiting a therapist but it is a lot cheaper.

Good luck with your mothers recovery,

Maarten