Do I have symptoms of any recognized disorder?

I am not particularly prone to compulsions and I don’t know that I suffer classic obsessions, as I have read that those who do are prone to intrusive thoughts of harming those they respect or love, and they become worried about the thoughts, because they don't want to act on these ideas, but fear that they could. I have three different types of obsessions and I have had them since I was a child. My most severe obsession is cyclic (I think of something that I have said or done in front of others, that I feel foolish about - and I do expect myself to act perfectly - and it proceeds invades my thoughts for the next 1-4 days, and while that particular obsession may then subside anywhere from months to years, something else will usually replace it, by the next day) and is often triggered by association (something that I can correlate to it, often vaguely - other people would not always notice these correlations.) I'll give an example (this is the obsession that I've had for the past two days.) When I was a child, I watched Pokémon and I hated the main character's mother, (and this thought brings me to my second type of obsession; when people have said or done things that go against my beliefs, I've wanted them dead - and have often thought of ways that I would kill them, and felt compelled to prove myself utterly superior to them) and I told EVERYONE whom I encountered about my contempt for her (I can't remember how, but my mother says that I went as far as to change the words of a song to be about her) - after a while, I got past her, but every now and then I still think about how I acted, and I become so embarrassed (when I exploit my spiteful obsessions in front of other people, I come to regret the behavior later, and then, of course, obsess about that) - lately I have been reading Bleach, and my favorite character's father has made an appearance, and while I like him just as much as I do his son, (and this thought happens brings me to my third type of obsession - I can become obsessed with anything that fascinates me - including people, men, because women bore me, and these obsessions always turn sexual, as I have a severe fetish with the penis, and I wonder if my fetish is what lead to me believe that I wanted to be the opposite sex, when I was young, because I sometimes want to become whatever I am obsessed with) I managed to think of the Pokémon character's mother, as I continually referred to the character as "...'s dad" as opposed to by name (as I did "...'s mom") and, of course, it's anime. When I can come to laugh about the obsession, (and fortunately, I have some to laugh about this one) I do suffer less anxiety about it (but that’s not always easy.)

Has anyone had similar obsessions?

Last edited:

fmulmt217

It's really not a good idea to self diagnose yourself. I know it's hard not to, especially when you're panicking about something, but the best course of action is to see a professional. There are SO MANY mental health disorders it's unbelieveable - thousands and thousands. Have you ever seen how thick the DSMV book is? And many of these disorders have overlapping symptoms. What sounds like one disorder on a messageboard could in reality be something very different after talking with a person qualified to make the diagnosis. They may notice things you don't. They will ask you questions you will not have thought of. They are the best people to answer your questions.