Do I have OCD?

svaak005

So I'm new to this whole forum thing and would love to get feedback from anyone that can help.
Over the past couple of years I have noticed certain behaviors in my life that I knew were abnormal. Things like the constant need to pray every night to assure the safety of my family and friends, assuring everything is done in multiples of 2 or 4, avoiding the number 3 and arranging things in a certain way. When bad or unpleasant thoughts come into my mind I feel a need to shake my head "no" to get them to go away. If I don't do something properly the first time, I need to do it over and over until I get it right. Also, everything needs to be even. For example, if one hand touches a door knob, so does the other hand.
My symptoms get better and worse each day. There is rarely a consistency to it. It doesn't feel like these issues run my life, but they are definately an annoyance and burden in my every day functioning. I also recently have been doubting who I am as a person. I've had feelings of low self worth and that no one wants anything to do with me. I know these thoughts are wrong, but I still have them.
I just don't know if I'm making a big deal out of nothing because it's not like my life is ruined. I can usually control everything but sometimes it's just overwhelming.
Should I seek help? Should I talk to family/friends about it? What should I do? Help please....

Musicocd

You sound very much like me; and I have ocd. Of course, that doesn't mean you definitely have it too, but it certainly sounds like you do. I think it depends on how much distress it causes you. My obsessions take up hours and hours of every day, and I hate them more than anything. But if you can cope and don't mind having to do rituals then I wouldn't go working yourself up about it.
Hope this helps...though it wasn't particularly informative! :S
xx

svaak005

So do you think I should seek help? Or just wait it out and see what happens? Part of me is like....get help now while it's not a big deal, stop this from becoming a bigger problem.
Thoughts?

AvinaKo

I think you should get help now. :\ If you don't, it's seriously only going to get worse and you won't be able to stand it.