Do any of you HH sufferers drive?

grissom

I was just wondering if any of you drive because I'd like to learn how to drive but my condition makes me so nervous and self-conscious that I think learning to drive would be very stressful for me. Cos I'd be worrying about if the instructor saw me sweating (and mistook it as me being nervous) or if my hands couldn't grasp the steering wheel etc.
Did any of you face problems when learning to drive?
I'd like to learn as it'll give me confidence and independance but I'm a bit worried.

clack013

yeah I drive. I took driver's ed back when I was 15 or whatever which was before my hypherhidrosis was really bad so it wasn't a problem for me.

sadday

I drive but the HH of my hands is not too bad. I wouldn't worry about coming across as nervous. Most people are nervous when just learning too drive. That's normal. There maybe a steering wheel cover that you could buy so you could grip the steering wheel better or absorb some of the wetness.

Joker

I hear ya grissom. I went through the exact same thing. I took a driver's ed class through my highschool back before I even knew what HH was. I'll admit, it was a little akward at times, but you're almost expected to be nervous so I'm sure the instructor sees sweaty hands all the time.

Practice driving with your parents before you take a driver's ed course. That way you'll have some experience under your belt when you do take the test and it won't seem quite so intimidating.

I say go for it! You can do it. 8)

BiGz

Yeh I took it back at high school before I knew what HH was. I was sweating so bad I steamed the windows up, so I had to wind the window down which fortunatly cleared the windscreen, I couldn't believe I passed that test. I look back on that and laugh about it. Its wierd, when you don't know you have HH but you suffer from it you still do the things which you hold back from when you do know you have it. If that makes sense?

Don't worry bout the sweat. I sweat from palms and only ever once have I had a problem gripping the wheel in 4 years of driving. If you can practice as much as possible with someone you know before taking the test that might help.