Dissociative Experiences? I had one a moment ago

treeline

I think that's what it was. google it if you don't know what I mean.

I've had a handful of these throughout my life, (19 now) I remember it happening as long as 10 years ago.

I was sitting with my laptop in bed on msn, someone in a band I love died so I was a bit annoyed and upset. I had the feeling which is hard to describe, where my hands felt really small and distant, as if my arms were a few metres longer. or that my head was above everything, like I was floating. not a physical floating sensation, just the general feel that everything is tiny.

anyone have a clue what I mean? I had it once when I was ill lying on a sofa and it felt like the room was really small. didn't look small, I didn't feel enclosed, I just had a sensation and tingling feeling making it seem like I was detached. that's the best word for it. now I'm just happy and tingly all over and it's great.

I think it's meant to be some sort of defense for forgetting traumatic experiences from what I've read. though I didn't know the guy, I was still upset but started listening to tracks like Dawn Chorus by Boards of Canada and Irene by Caribou which are ridiculously pretty and mind altering, maybe that contributed. it's such an odd altered state of mine to be in, partly enjoyable, partly confusing. I could have snapped out of it, it's like being in a trance where I'm staring. if I looked around it went away but I could get it back a bit by staring again...

it's so wonderful, it would be cool if other people knew it. I think it's called a dissociative experience, or at least that's the closest thing to it I know of

fenkat

i think i may have experienced something similar to this a couple of times. i have felt like things around me were getting smaller and bigger, even though it didn't look like things were, and i was in a sort of a trance-like state..though there was nothing even slightly traumatic that could have triggered it. I have also had it happen when i was sick, too. Its sort of enjoyable and slightly unnerving.

danstelter

I have experienced what I would call dissociative states, but for me they worked a bit different. I tended to get them on rare occasions, like you, but only when I was feeling extreme anxiety. For me, I just felt "unreal," like I was not on this earth with everyone else, somehow "detached" from this world. It was a strange feeling indeed, and I think that the anxiety was just too intense for me to handle, so my mind decided to try to leave this world. I guess there's not much else to say other than it happened, and for me it was not something I would necessarily like to experience again.