Death to Socialphobia!

Dancer

Guys, I think I've almost beaten Social Phobia. I've discovered that it's much easier to socialize people if you are.. ..happy. Back when my socialphobia was really bad, I had no money and wasnt getting along with my parents well. But now I have a decent job, and my relationship with my parents is much better, and I just feel a lot more relaxed talking to people. I'm still quite shy, but I don't get nervous anywhere near as much.

Something else I did is talk to people. I'd often go to the store to buy a drink or something, just so I could practice making smalltalk with the shopkeeper.

I actually have goals and ambitions now, rather than just wasting away waiting to die. I am happy.

So, my advice is to make yourself happy in whatever way you can, and talk to people whenever you get the chance, even if it's just a few sentences. Good luck to you all.

Mary

Dancer, I am glad that your life has gotten so much better! That is great and gives us all hope! :D
I agree w/you that talking to people and making small talk seems to help.

MariahCarey

you're so right. the only way you can actually beat sa is if you're happy. unfortunately most of us are not. but i'm glad you are and keep up the gook work, you're doing very well! i dont even kno u but i'm proud lol stay strong xx

yumms

Great job dude. Hopefully I'm on my way to lose SP too, I'm trying really hard.

Positive things are happening 8)

Reholla

hey Dancer! That was encouraging : )...I completely agree. I mean I know it's easy to say "just be happy" but really thats all you can do. Attitude is SUCH a big part in overcoming this!

And I know with being able to socialize and make friends, people want to be around other people who are happy, and at least approachable. I know with certain conditions ive been in i definitely was not approachable, but it wasnt cause I didnt want to be, I just didnt think I could be.

The most important thing to realize is you have to want to be happy bad enough to put yourself through uncomfortable situations. It is a frusturating process. But I always ask myself...would you rather be unhappy and never try to get past this, or isnt it worth being unhappy for a short while and eventually coming out of it successful AND happy?

But it is really encouraging to hear a story like yours. Even with the right mind set i am still struggling with my SA. I have full confidence though that I can eventually get out of this. And if we all just learn to love ourselves enough, we will all be able to be at our full potential.

I wanted to ask how long you had SA, and how long youve been over it?

Thanks for the great post tho : )

Dancer

I've had social phobia for about 2 years, and it only started getting better about 3 months ago. I didn't actually notice I was getting better, until a few weeks ago when I looked back and realised how much I'd improved.
Yes it is hard to be happy, I know this. But it's virtually impossible to beat social phobia if your depressed. A good idea is to keep busy doing something fun, to take your mind of it. get a hobby of some sort. I'm thinking of joining a club or something, not sure what kind yet.

Septor

Good job Dancer it's always good to hear about someone getting better and you are right about the happy part.My problem is I don't know what happy is and I have never been happy in my life.

Also thank you for sharing this with us because I think that you can be inspiration for other people on the board. :D :D

exuser01

Septor said:
My problem is I don't know what happy is and I have never been happy in my life.

Also thank you for sharing this with us because I think that you can be inspiration for other people on the board. :D :D

Then how did you know which emoticon to use?

easy

You guys say it's hard to be happy. It's not. To be happy is the easiest thing in the world.

You know what's hard? Being depressed.

Septor said:
My problem is I don't know what happy is and I have never been happy in my life.

This is a thought, nothing more. You have been happy in your life, but now you think "I don't know what happy is" and you believe it.

Make a smile. (it may be hard for you, but do it anyway) Now try to be aware of ONLY that smile, with no thoughts attached to it. Can you feel it? The smile, and the feelings it causes? That's joy. That's happiness!

Septor

easy said:
You guys say it's hard to be happy. It's not. To be happy is the easiest thing in the world.

You know what's hard? Being depressed.

Septor said:

This is a thought, nothing more. You have been happy in your life, but now you think "I don't know what happy is" and you believe it.

Make a smile. (it may be hard for you, but do it anyway) Now try to be aware of ONLY that smile, with no thoughts attached to it. Can you feel it? The smile, and the feelings it causes? That's joy. That's happiness!

I have been happy in my life and I know what happiness is.Really!You know this because?I don't remember telling you my life story.I must be becoming senile in my old age.hmmmmmm :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: