Could I really be agoraphobic?

I

ImprisonedAngel

Hey everyone,
I hope you all are doing well and having a great day. I’m here for some insight and following is a bit about me.

I’ve always been one of those types that like to hang out with people, but not often and on my own terms. Even then, I found it stressful. I felt pressured to entertain or what if they saw right through me? What if they were witness to my insecurities and weakness or thought me foolish, boring or dumb? I find social situations to be hard work and draining and it gets worse.

It slowly began when I married a man that tends to be a hermit. He loves nothing more than to spend as much time as possible sitting in front of his computer at home. Before we married, I loved being outdoors and enjoyed going places (carnivals, festivals, amusement parks, museums, botanical gardens, etc.), but he’s not into it and I am terrified to go anywhere alone.

It became increasingly worse a good while back when something horrific happened involving my children and their school district. It led to years of courts, lawyers, lawsuits, harassment and politics over principles. Now, I feel as though I cannot protect myself or my children outside my front door and, to be honest, I worry daily about break ends too. How can it be all in my head when our children don’t seem to be safe at school, at church, in their own front yards or even in their own beds???

I’m a stay at home mom, so my social circle basically includes my hubby, my kids and select store employees at the only few places I will shop. I’m not sure what to do about this and I’m worried because it’s getting worse and affecting my kids (as I hardly let them go outside or anywhere at all). I’m just trying to protect them, but I know I’m probably handicapping them too. They need to experience the world if they are going to survive in it. UGH.

For years I’ve been suffering from severe anxiety and nightmares and I finally feel like I’m at a breaking point... I will either need to get out there and stop being scared of everything and start experiencing life with and without my kids, or I’m going to end up never leaving my house again (which is practically what I’m doing now). I very much want to find a friend that I can go places and do the things my hubby doesn’t want or won’t do, such as going canoeing at this place I’ve been wanting to for years. Any comments? Please be kind.