confused

KevinA

hi, Im 16, and I dont know if Im just shy or have a social phobia, I feel fine around people Ive known for a long time, friends family, and when I go to stores its no hassle to ask someone where something is, or talking to a store clerk, but when it comes to meeting new people I always find it hard, I have a hard time making eye contact with people I dont know, cause I dont know what theyr thinking of me, ugly weird.. For example today me and 3 of my friends went out to the city at night, and they fool around racing everybody... beeping at girls, and just random people, blasting music.. and I tried not to let people see my face cause I didnt want them thinking Im an idiot, im always worried about what people will think of me if I do something, and all my friends dont care, I just want to be able to say F*$# it, and do whatever I want without feeling stupid.

KevinA

Im not sure if Im shy, or phobic, because sometimes its real bad, like karaoke at the bowling alley, my friends asked me to go up, and I wouldnt have went up if you paid me $100, and when they were playing music, they were all dancing, but I was the only one sitting down. I wanted to but I just couldnt I worried about what people would think about me.

Seneca

Again, KevinA, that just seems like shyness. We still need more infomation. Can you tell us how school is going for you? Like, for example, are you constantly fearing that the teacher will call on you? or are you unable to eat in front of people? do you have trouble peeing in restrooms when other people are nearby? -- These are all common symptoms of social phobia; although not all need to present and come in varying degrees.

Please review here and here for a much more thorough list.

I will say: One symptom you do seem to be showing is that you think your acting irrational when your being shy, right? This belief is common amongst all social phobics.