Confused and embarassed about gushing over this .... A rant

WriterChick3

Please, nobody be upset with me about posting this. I think this is the type of topic that could upset people, but this is really just a rant! Please, please don't get mad at me or call me bad things! If you answer this please be respectful ... I'm not trying to sound stupid, but I've had a rough week and I really don't need to get more down on myself.
Okay, I'll admit, I've had a bit of a fascination with moving to New Zealand someday; Not only was it beautiful, but I thought 'Hey, I'll move there someday and begin a career!'
I've had many personal problems in my life and I thought if I moved there I'd completely escape and begin a new life there happily and be the person I've always wanted. I know that it's different than America, but I thought I read somewhere that women were treated equally to men and were taken seriously. When it seems like some people (Hollywood) does sexualize women and tries to make them be a certain way and brainwash women AND men. I figured NZ would be a bit more different due to what I had read many months ago .....
But recently someone said NZ is sexist like Australia. Now I don't know what to believe.
I wanted to move to New Zealand to become a novelist AND a counselor. But why would I work somewhere where I'd be trashed and ignored (weather it be in America or not.)

Also, there's a guy who lives in New Zealand that I kinda had a crush on last year and he kinda inspired my interest to go; I know it's less likely I'd meet him, but he ... well, lets just say he kept me from injuring myself last year because he gave me that twinkle of hope and love. That I have never felt before.
I wanted to write stage-plays there, too, in a far away future. But now I'm so confused.
As I've told my own counselor: I don't wanna live in a world where I'm EXPECTED to do something or am disrespected because of my gender or expected to do this/that.
I want people -- especially men -- to take me seriously. Not see me as 'a simple woman who's emotional and doesn't know much.' . . . . And yes, I know this behavior exists everywhere in the world. But is it worse in other places?

Again, please don't hate me for this post. I'm just soooo confused right now and I asked someone online earlier if New Zealand was respectful to women and someone said "You need to grow up, everyone's mistreated everywhere. If you don't learn this, then there's no hope for you."
Also, once I hear something negative, I run with it. I am not gulible -- it's the fact I don't know what to believe anymore and it makes me pretty sad. Especially when I'm still learning about the world and going in to adulthood and wants to achieve what I want. And have dealt with many negative people in my life and give me no hope and make me think life's too stressful and stuff. :(
Like I said ... I hear something negative, it is stuck on my mind for days until it makes me feel pretty bad.
I'm embarassed because I've been telling my counselor how I really wanna move to NZ and study at a college and live there and have my own happy life. I've gushed to both my therapist and mother about it ... I've even told my grandmother 'I'm gonna go to New Zealand and make a difference as a counselor!'
Ughh ... I feel so childish now. I feel so immature. Darn it! I'm embarassed. Now I'm worried you're all gonna be upset with me ..... :(
I really hope this post isn't offensive.

Thanks for reading ....

miss_amy

I think there are good and bad people everywhere. I think the key to changing how people treat us lies within ourselves. I really dont think it makes any difference where we go..people are people. But if your dream is NZ then why not give it a go? Its a goal, something to aim for. Is that a bad thing? If it doesnt work out then theres always a plane home and a fresh start.

coyote

I've never been to New Zealand, so i don't know

I think it's somewhere near the Falkland Islands.

miss_amy

New Zealand is to the east of Australia. I don't know what the visa situation is for Americans but for us in the UK they have quite strict entry requirements to live there. You might want to look in to visas.