Compatibility Paradox

I just have some general musings. Let me know what you think.

Would it be a bad idea if at some point in the future I had a relationship with somebody exactly like me? This question has always been on my mind. I cannot see myself with somebody who is not like me, but part of me sees it as a bad idea. Would we learn from each other and gradually get better? Would we both see ourselves reflected in our eyes and decided we cannot stand each other? I am terrible at conversation, nothing ever pops into my head, and I am like a half-burnt book. I forget simple information, which would be vital to conversation. If the other person was like this, how could we communicate? Would it even be worth the bother of having a relationship, ending back to square one?

Last edited:
Not exactly, like me, but someone who understands and has similar problems. I mean it as in clashing of problems, not interests.

Supernova

The first problem is finding someone who is like you. I've just about given up on it, I wonder how male and females have a relationship sometimes when they are so different. As for the old do I find someone like me who I can relate to - but will it drag us both down? Or do I find someone not like me who won't understand but may help me, thats a tough one. I don't think any two people will be completely alike, you might find someone who is a good conversationalist who helps you develop that skill but they might have trouble in other areas.

I couldn't see myself going out with a so called normal person, I don't think they would be interested in me anyway but then its not likely I will be going out with anyone for a long time. I guess the best way is not to think about it and see what happens, besides everything depends on the people involved rather than what type of person they are.

JA2007

I don't think it matters whether they are quiet like you or not, as long as they are understanding and supportive of your SA. I would prefer to be with someone who has suffered shyness/SA before and has improved at least slightly because that's the same as me. I admire guys more who overcome their fears a little at a time than the ones who were never fearful in the first place. There's a sense of empathy.