Can't work up the nerve.

Faradesti

For the past year or so, I've been attempting to get a local job to help out with a few things. However, the only ones I can really apply for have to have an application that I can do online.. and all the places near-by are already full up.
So, the only chance I have at getting a job is going to this local grocery store, and doing a personal interview. This absolutely terrifies me. I'm a very hard worker, and I like to think that I am generally a nice person. I was hoping that this job would throw me out the world so I could get better at being around people.
I just can't seem to actually get the back-bone to go do it. I'm really afraid that, even if I did, my co-workers wouldn't like me. Or what if I actually flop, and can't handle all the human interaction? I'm really scared of how it might turn out, but then again I need to learn how to interact with people somehow.

Is there a way I can get my social skills up to par, and maybe hopefully become a little less dependent on my mom going everywhere with me? My mom is my best friend, and I pretty much go where ever she goes. But since I graduated from high school, she and the rest of my family are the only people I am ever around anymore. I haven't talked to anyone that isn't part of my family in a long time, besides my older sister's boyfriend when they come over (and he's basically family now, anyhow).

I've never been good at making friends, or keeping them even when I manage to. I'm just really afraid that this is going to be really detrimental to me in the future if I don't start working on it now.

Anyway, sorry if this was too long, I'm not really good at explaining things. Would any of you have advice on my situation?

Faradesti

Sounds like a good idea! I've never been good at making plans, but I could give a little shot-a-roo I suppose. Nothing bad could come of it, at least. Rather than just walking in there all willy-nilly and make a fool of myself. Hopefully that'll help me not stumble over my words so much, at the very least.

Thank you so much for the input! It was really helpful!