can it be heriditary

lindameik said:
hi iam a new to this site i was woundering if agoraphobia can be heriditary
linda

Hi Linda, Welcome to SPW!

Yes, I think a lot of our problems could be hereditary, including agoraphobia.

Foxglove

There have been a lot of studies which show that mental illness can be passed on from parent to child. Look at me -- my parents are both depressed and backward, as long as I have been around neither one of them has had any friends. There is a long and colorful history of mental illness on my mother's side of the family. It is my worst nightmare that my son could one day end up like me.

stevieN

Please get yourself educated on agoraphobia. It's just that a phobia. A phobia of having a panic attack. There's nothing hereditary about it and it's not a mental illness. This is why so many people arent getting help, it's because they get wrong advice by people that are ignorant to it. Just do some reading. You're not crazy or alone. There's a lot of forums that have people that can actually help. Panic attacks are brought on by your inablilty to supress your "fight or flight" button in your mind. It's normal to have the "fight or flight" thoughts, it's just that it's so strong in some people that they don't know how or are too scared to choose "fight". Once you decide you want to fight then you can help yourself. I overcame agoraphobia with some knowledge and some fast acting anxiety pills. They arent' addicting and have no side effect, plus you can order them online. It's an herbal supplement that acts in a few minutes to calm you down, so you can think clearly and do what you set out to do. If you want some more help email me at [email protected].

Sen

I don't try to sound like I'm talking about because I have no idea around the subject but....there's been alot of research into people with violent minds and other mental issues and often they have an area of the brain larger/smaller than average people. What's to say that this abnormality in the brain is not heridatary, and if it can be, surely phobias could be caused by another area of the brain being different from other people?

Very pessimistic post now I read back, and completely just an idea, but thought it might be worth while discussing.

stevieN

The fast acting pills were called Seredyn. They're $35 per bottle of 60. I so afraid of taking meds because of how they make you feel, so I was so relieved when I read about these. It's just like taking a vitamin, you can't feel any difference except calmer. You are able to think clearly so you can control your thoughts. Also I use breathing techinques with the pills to completely make the panic feelings go away. You can go to www.seredyn.com and read up about it. Someone on another forum told me about them and I'm glad I gave them a try. I'd rather have to carry these around with me (sometimes just knowing I have them on me, makes me not have to take one) then to have to be on some drug that it's too dangerous to quit taking. That's just moving backwards!

I traveled outside my comfort zone today, by myself, without taking a pill first. Yay!

Sen

I find that often if I have an 'escape' that I end up not feeling so bad. And if I have my kalms tablets on me, often I end up not needing them.

By 'escape' I mean. One time I attempted a party, but my mum said if I couldn't manage it, that she'd come and pick me up and it was just worth a try. I managed it, we stayed in this restaurant till about 1 or 2 in the morning, and then I stayed round my girlfriends house ( shared a room with 5 hot girls, oooh yeah :p ) but just knowing that if I felt too bad I could leave, meant that I didn't have to leave.

When you say you went out of your comfort zone StevieN,what did you actually do?

stevieN

I drove to downtown Atlanta by myself. Which is about 30 miles away. But the distance wasn't the problem really, it was always the fact that I had no clue where anything was and not knowing how to get out of the city is not a fast escape, since most is one way streets so I couldn't just make a u-turn and go back.
I have to go to a huge convention for my work for 3 days and stay overnight, I'm terrified, but I know I can do it. I'll let ya'll know how it goes. Thanks for the replies.

paragora

stevie! I did some research on those pills and I went on some sites and everyone who took them also said that they worked really well. There's a 90 percent success rate? crazy..

I wanted to get them but it's 25 dollars for shipping! (to Canada) and I have literally no money right now in my back account.
sucks being poor.

I'll get them when I get my next paycheck.

Anyways, thanks for the info!

stevieN

I'm so sorry, I didn't realize that you were in Canada or that it was even that much. I went to www.applehealthstore.com and they have free shipping, parts of Canada are included, check it out. This is usually where I order my from because the shipping is always free. Go to the site and do a search for seredyn and it will come up with different quanitities. I usually do just one cuz they last me months. I got mine in like 3 days. Good luck and hopefully you can get them.