Bullied and defamated, never stood up for myself

Felicido

Before anything else, I'm not a native English speaker. I'm pretty advanced when compared to most people in my country (Finland), but I'm not used to talking or writing in English as I am in Finnish, so please bear that in mind if you don't understand what I'm saying. Also, sorry for not making a proper introduction, if such even exists here. I just want to get straight to the point. I only wish to get this thing off my chest and maybe receive some advice regarding my situation.

I'm a 19 year old boy, still in lukio (like high school, basically) and will be until and if I finish my matriculation exams this autumn. I've always been rather introverted, partly because I'm quite shy and clumsy at social situations (although I've improved ever since I started high school), so I'm more comfortable around fewer people and like to spend more time with myself. I sometimes enjoy books, drawing, movies and video games more than social interaction. Sadly, it's also because I've grown to be fearful and distrustful of others due to my experiences. I entered a "tenth class", an additional studying group that focuses on improving school grades. I couldn't complete school normally due to depression and problems at home (an alcoholic mother and an angry, strict stepfather, who is gone now). It felt promising enough, since the class was to be taken on a remotely located school with it's own dorms and stuff (they're quite uncommon here in Finland). I was excited since I could be able to live a bit more independently, eat great food and maybe make a few friends.

Thing is, these additional classes usually attract the kind of people that drove you away from traditional education in the first place. Low-life thugs and wannabe gangsters, potheads, teeny boppers and other people who were too cool for school. Because I've always been the slow one, with the doe-eyed smile and friendly yet quiet demeanor, I'm usually the easiest target for ridicule. It got painfully obvious once I got my room mate, this wannabe white trash dork who thought of himself as the alpha male and bragged how he pilfered thousands of euros from his completely oblivious parents. I don't like to make rigid assumptions about people based on superficial attributes, but if I had done that at the time I might have saved myself years worth of useless headache and self-pity.

Here is where my dreadful experience really begins. While I was sleeping, this new "friend" of mine thought it amusing to tape video of me with his cell phone and show it to his friends. I'm not exactly sure how much he taped me and what parts of my private areas he explored in his attempt to demean me and validate his manly ego. I'm a fat boy, so it probably was enough to show my stomach bulking from under my rolled up t-shirt, but you never know. I tried to make him stop, but being the bigger guy he simply had to threaten me and I wouldn't say protest. And I didn't. I didn't tell ANYONE. My tutors, who had assured me that I could go talk to them in ANY situation whatsoever, never heard a thing from me. I feel like an idiot, a lost cause, the human doormat.

So I've kept silent up until now, thinking that it wasn't a big deal and that it would blow over in time. I've been taught to be too kind to others and it doesn't help being overtly shy and sensitive either. I simply requested a single room for myself and started avoiding the jackass in question, though it wasn't easy since he and his friends would still torture me every chance they got. They most likely badmouthed me to anyone who would think of me as a victim, because some of the people that were previously more friendly towards me suddenly turned more hostile, mean or otherwise distant. This network of bullies continued to put down everyone else excluded from their little gang, like me and a few of my friends (we were the friendly nerd/slacker group at the school and thus an easy target). It wasn't completely systematic though, especially after their "leaders" got expelled, the first being my bully and the second an even more disgusting violent loser who bossed others around for his own convenience and amusement. They were basically the worst, but they also controlled all the girls that would fall for their bad boy "charm", who in turn could easily manipulate some troglodyte to come yell at us about something we didn't do.

So, I could mingle with some of my buddies whenever I felt uneasy, which did bring about a certain amount of comfort, but in the end I was just escaping the real issue. The issue being that deep down I felt my pride had been hurt and my rights had been violated, and yet I was taking it all without objections. I've thought of a lawsuit, but I'm not sure if the video in question even exists anymore, and I'm afraid it might seem stupid and unbelievable to the authorities after all this time (over three years ago). If I wanted to do it though, I could get help from school and perhaps some friends for testimony. I'd rather just get on with my life, but I obviously can't even think of the future with the ghosts of the past haunting the present.

Last edited:

StandingJelly

Nice to hear your story and your English is very good. You made it quiet interesting to read :) All your thoughts and your history was presented clearly as well. I hope you feel better getting it out here to us.

I do not have any experience of being bullied, not at least for long terms, so I think I don't have the right to really give you advice. The ones who tried to bully me was loser tryhards, whom ended up being made fun of themselves, otherwise despised. I was still lonely at the end with little contacts because my lack of social skills. Being at uni and work, there is even less than such things, though its even lonelier :x So those people will not survive in the real world, and if they do come out here they will only be despised. Those people who have no use in the future should not affect your potential in the future. At least that is what I think.

kc1980

Are you still in this school for the moment? Or did you move to another school afterwards? I can understand your disappointment about how such a good concept as this special school was ruined through the bad attitude of these other students.

I guess you can also learn lessons from this, and if at another point you're confronted with such unacceptable behaviour, you have to act more quickly, and not hesitate to make a complaint to the responsible persons immediately. Of course then they still have to be willing and able to act against bullying forcefully, which unfortunately is not always the case. And if they don't, you have to go talk to a higher authority.

At least you were partly vindicated when this bad roommate got expelled, although from what you write it was for probably another case of bad behaviour. Have you still met this bully afterwards? As for what you could still do now I wouldn't be sure. I guess you would have the right to make a complaint, but maybe it would absorb a lot of your time and energy. They say that the best revenge is to live a good life, so I guess you can probably better invest your energy in yourself.

Last edited:

Felicido

StandingJelly: Thank you, I know I don't make too many mistakes, I guess I'm just being too timid about it. It's true, most bullies are people who probably can't lead a stable life on their own. In any career you usually need to have motivation and skills to progress, while some bullies barely care enough to finish school or do anything productive. They also have problems working with different kinds of people and responding to authority. Of course, some are highly motivated but even more self-centered, vicious and cunning than ordinary bullies, attaining high positions where they have even more control over the others.

kc1980: I started high school there right after I finished that class. I managed to raise my grades considerably, so I probably would have gotten anywhere I wanted, but despite the incident I felt it was still a better choice than any public school. It's more warm and caring as a community, students and teachers interact more equally and friendly since we spend a lot of time with each other. This is also because it's an evangelical school, so a lot of folks are connected through their faith. I'm not a religious person (they don't mandate their students to be), but I'm tolerant of different beliefs and my stay has certainly broadened my horizons. I still feel like an outsider at times, which might be part of the reason I haven't told anyone.

And yeah, he was expelled for some unrelated reason, probably had something to do with bringing alcohol to school grounds or something, maybe he just quit school himself. I've never met him since but I heard he had knocked up some girl by accident, which brings me some comfort knowing that the fool has to take some responsibility for his actions now. He most likely won't, but that's his problem. Couldn't care less.

So you're absolutely right, best way to deal with it is to move on with my life. Filing a complaint would take too much of my time and I'm not interested in facing my bully again, it would only make me look and feel more of a whiner still clinging to past issues. I really only brought it up since I feel very frustrated whenever I think back to that time, whenever my friends come across a similar situation and know how to handle it, making me feel so stupid and depressed even though I should be helping them get over it (this school has seen it's share of other bullies and weirdos since then).

I know ways to channel my frustration and regret productively though. Exercising and dieting would be the best, I just need to muster up enough motivation so I can start and stick with them. I'm also in a relationship, which is probably the best (and most unlikely) thing that's happened to me in a long time. We've been dating for year and half now, though we've known each other for far longer. We have a lot in common, although I haven't really opened up to him about my bullying experiences. Maybe I never will, I've been dwelling on my bad memories long enough.