Building courage

I have never had professional help for my mental health and have opened up to only two people that were not very supportive nor understanding.
I plan to man up and go to the counseling office that my college provides for a talk about my depression and obsessive thoughts. I expect that there will be a therapy session where the counselor and I will be talking. I am super nervous and afraid about lots of things that will possibly happen. I am not sure what to expect but I am afraid that I won't be open enough to get real help. I imagine that I will be too embarrassed to say certain things and maybe not comfortable enough to talk honestly. I am also worried that I will end up crying so much at a certain point that I won't be able to talk or that I will be incomprehensible. I am most worried that the therapy is not going to help me and that I will be hopeless for the rest of my life.
Can you guys share me your story of the first therapy session if you ever had one?
I am not sure where to post this, so I posted here where I thought it fit the most. I apologize if it's not in the right place.

ImNotMyIllness

I should have done that while I was pursuing my bachelors. I am so proud of you. I understand about people around you not being supportive. I have never told my family, they wouldn't understand.
I never had a therapy session yet. I only told my GP and she really isn't that much help. But, it's a start. This site has been very helpful. I thought I was the most wretched soul on earth, only to find that there are those that have it even worse. I've really learned a lot about myself by reading what others had to say.

I forgot to check on this thread, I'm sorry :(
Thanks for the reply. Sad to say I never went to the counselor, I feel like I've let you down xD. I'm far too scared and hopeless to get myself to go. I would have to get to the campus super early and there would be just far too many people in my way... Sigh... Thanks anyway :)

Esperance

You shouldn't be worry about your therapy. You don't have to say everything on the first session. The most important thing in those kind of things is to feel relax and to trust the therapist. It can take several months but it should happen and don't be afraid of crying or of not being able to say everything on the first session, like I said before, it can take several month.
But the most important thing is to trust your therapist. For mysalf by exemple, I had someone during almost one year but I didn't progress because I didn't liked him and trusted him. Now, I'm with a new since 6 month and he is much nicer and now, I can talk freely with him and I'm feeling much better, almost like if I was talking with a friend