Brain Overload?

Psychology

Sup everybody, this is my first time posting. I'm more posting for reassurance on an issue I've had in my life and for venting, I've been obsessing a lot lately about this.

I'm not the most comfortable talking about my OCD. I'll try and open up as much as I can without making a huge post.

I was misdiagnosed as a mild aspergers as a child. I'm fairly certain that this was because I had an enormous amount of social anxiety and was a fairly eccentric kid. The problem is that neither of these issues were caused by aspergers.

As a child I had no problem making friends, it just took a little time for me to get to know them, and I have had a very successful social life for my entire life. I also have no problems reading peoples body language, understanding sarcasm, facial expressions, etc. etc. etc. which are of course the principle problems in any autistic disorder.

I was eccentric as a child because I never stopped thinking. I was always analyzing different social scenarios in my head and trying to figure out what I would to in them in order to be the best possible person I could be. That lead me to always "jump the gun" so to speak in a lot of ways when I interacted with people. I would overreact or underreact depending on what specifically I was obsessing about all the time. I knew I was too, but at an early age it's hard to identify why you can't control your thoughts. This kind of obsessing went on through high school, plus of course the characteristic intrusive thoughts that I have suffered since my earliest memory.

Point is, I display classic "Pure O" symptoms, and have technically been formally diagnosed as such. The problem is the psychiatrist I currently see actually doesn't believe in labeling. Psychiatric disorders are as much a condition as any medical ailment, so he won't typically label any particular symptoms, partly because as a doctor it really doesn't matter as long as the symptoms get treated, and partly because patients tend to take these labels to heart and view themselves as "mentally broken", which can really hurt someone.

Anyway I've been hardcore obsessing about being an aspergers for real. Just the last 2 days I became so overwhelmed with my thoughts my brain felt like it shut down. It's like all I could do was play video games and I had no caring or understanding of people. It's really unlike me. I get worried I'm on the verge of some sort of psychotic break or worse. It probably doesn't help that I'm close to graduating with a degree in psychology from a great university in May. The more you know, the more you obsess about I guess.

So I guess I was wondering if anyone else with OCD of any kind gets this "brain overload" kind of symptom?

Psychology

Hello and welcome to the site!:)

Thanks.

So update: I'm not going crazy. Another obsession I guess. But seriously, does anyone get like that totally overwhelmed, brain shutting down, almost can't understand anything around you feeling ever?

Every time I do I'm CONVINCED I'm becoming psychotic or something worse.

EasySkankin

Thanks.

So update: I'm not going crazy. Another obsession I guess. But seriously, does anyone get like that totally overwhelmed, brain shutting down, almost can't understand anything around you feeling ever?

Every time I do I'm CONVINCED I'm becoming psychotic or something worse.

It's obviously another obession. But why do you worry about it? If you are going nuts, you're going nuts... if you're not - you're not. Nothing you can do about it my friend.