Blushing issue..again.

Milo

I'm new to this site, just joined a few minutes ago. I have suffered from anxiety since I was 15, I am 18 now. At age 16 I had agoraphobia and I was terrified to leave my house due to the fact that I was afraid of people. I told my therapist my symptoms of shaking when I was called on or criticized in front of others by a teacher or at my job. This was only the start of it, then blushing came into my life and it keeps holding me back from a life that I want. When I was 17 my blushing left, but came back about two months ago. I was living a perfect life until some angry customer had something to say to me then I felt afraid and what are people gonna think of me. I then turned red. I swear to christ if we weren't at my work in front of a group of people then I would talk the same way that person talked to me. I mean, Im 6'1 235 and I have this problem. I've tried everything, been on medication such as Prozac and clonopin, went to a psychiatrist and to a homeopathic doctor (makes natural remedies). Nothing has worked and I'm so fed up with this life. I'm not suicidal, I just want a change.

It seems like my social phobia has become a part of me since the day it first happened to me and now I can't shake it. I've been homeschooled for two years now because it has got so bad and to add to that I am going away to college in the fall. I want to be healed from it so bad. I hate people because they make me nervous. I love animals. I am afraid of college. I fear getting called on and not knowing the answer, then turning red, and I fear I will be criticized by a teacher or students for my blushing in front a group of people. I'm religious too, and have been praying for a change, but in three years the man above hasn't helped. To be honest with you this SA and blushing is hindering me from living the life that I want. I have a low self of steam and low confidence level. I was a star athlete, now I am a blushing nervous reck who looks like a bodyguard.

These are my symptoms and when my blushing occurs.
1. When I'm talking to someone in authority (even one on one): boss, teacher I'll blush and wont be able to stop it.

2. I'll blush when I'm cashiering at my work because I feel people are looking at me. Sometimes they will say something rude to me or try to tell me something or laugh at me then I'll blush.

3. Blushing in front of people who stare.

4. I blushed a ton when I went to school due to my SP and thought I overcame it, but I did not. The next person who insults me is going to get it right back. I'm not afraid to fight a person because I can stand my ground, but I am afraid of getting into social situations where i might turn red.

I've tried to fill my head with positive thoughts when i feel im about to blush, but it doesn't work. I'm usually not a cashier, but when I am it sucks. I hate people!

Does anyone have any solutions? I'm going to my psychologist on Thursday and am going to talk to her about blushing medications. Has anyone had success with any or has anyone had success overcoming blushing with other methods? Please help.

-Chief

tool1919

Hi Chief,

Thought i was reading something i'd written myself then.....

This is only my second response on this site. Have been reading a lot of others but it seemed appropriate to respond to this. I have the same blushing problem and its wrecking my life too at the moment. I'm 26 and the weird thing is, i never used to have this problem, was always popular at school (good looking so i hear, good at sport, etc.) and was pretty sociable. Then something happened and i can't even figure out what. Looking back i think i've had a bit of SA since about 18 yo or so, but the physical symptoms only started about a year ago. Once that first blushing episode happened its like my brain was hardwired from then on to respond the same each time. I thought i sort of got over it then it came back. Now when i'm talking to particular people (as you say, people in authority, etc) as soon as i start to worry that it will happen again it happens. No ones said anything but i'm sure they realise. I think the main problem for us is the fear that it will happen again and that triggers it. Sometimes i have good days and it doesn't happen and i think i might be getting better, then for no reason at all i have a bad day and it happens heaps. Anyway i'm getting off track. I saw a doctor a while back and he gave me propranolol (beta-blockers). I've found these work ok because they just target the physical symptoms of increased HR, blushing, sweating etc (so don't get the psych problems of addiction, etc.). And i find that if i take them i'm not so worried about blushing, they don't have any side effects and they don't effect performance in any way (which i need because i teach large groups of uni students). I take 20mg an hour before a particularly stressful situation and it often helps. Though i still find it happens other times.

Sorry if i've rambled a bit. Mainly just wanted you to know i'm in a similar situation and i know it helps me to know that others understand, not that i wish this upon anyone else. Maybe try the beta-blockers if you want. Otherwise good luck buddy. We'll get through it some day in our own way.

Milo

Thanks man, seems like we're a lot alike. I'm stressed about college, but I can't let this sh!t bring me down and keep me from going.

tool1919

That's the right attitude. Keep telling yourself you're not going to put up with it and let it wreck your life, that's what i keep telling myself. Even though each time it happens i feel totally small, i'm not gonna let it beat me.

luke1000

Hello
I went to the doctors about blushing and was given 40mg propranolol 3 times a day to take and i find that it works for me too, but only for about 3 hours after each dose.