Blood Sugar Levels?

LittleMissMuffet

Yesterday I felt the worst I have probably ever felt.
...I'd been to the gym the day be for for the first time in a long time; I also had smoked a fair bit, and today seem to have some king of lung infection.

But, I had this awful nervy feeling and once or twice felt like I could just burst into tears. And I experienced feeling that agitation that contrinuted to me losing my last job -only it was a little more acute even.

I found my self wanting to eat to change the feeling -and I ate a lot of bread. Later at night, I felt better; and this may have been due to drinking tea -which had sugar in it- since I felt better just after drinking it.

....It wouldn't surprise me if sugar levels and mood problems are connected. I looked such a thing up on the internet -googling: blood sugar and mood -and found the following useful site.....

www.syndrome-x.com/Blood_Sugar_Blues.html

Read through it all, since it is very short, but includes what may be helpful to take to ease depression (and anxiety of course). Chromium improves insulin function which supposedly increases levels of tryptophan and serotonin in the brain, and in this way having a considerable effect on mood -and even weight gain/loss. ....For certain patients, taking chromium worked better than antidepressants for improving their mood.

So, it is worth reading about this, and looking into it further.

....What if a good deal of problems to do with anxiety and depression are about diet and the body...?

random

Yes - Blood sugar affects my mood

I was on high protein low carb for many months. Then, I dove head first into blood sugar in the form of bread, potatoes etc. I discovered that moving from low blood sugar to high did bring on an emotional state that felt like I could cry etc. It wouldn't happen with one high blood sugar meal (pasta) but a second high blood sugar meal (rice and chow mein noodles) would cause, about 2 hours later, a very potent sad feeling that made me want to cry in desperation. I would say that in general - keeping my blood sugar very low gives me the ability to bounce back from real disappointments in life. By that I mean that a true sad event happens and, with high blood sugar, I sink emotionally and stay there a long time. Keeping my blood sugar low and having a deep disappointment - I sink into sadness and then surface 'naturally' sooner in a manner that kind of surprises me. So WHY am I endulgint in Christmas high sugar treats when I KNOW better!????!! I think is sugar/emotion connection is true for some people (me) and not for others. It is exciting to discover though because it's rare when you are handed a little emotional control like that. :D

LittleMissMuffet

Hi Random,

I think that you and me should really look into this. There is obviously a connection with diet and mood problems -certainly for you, and a little less certainly for me.

My cousin, who left work because of stress problems, has found that she needed to cut-out sugars as this made her agitated and stressed.
And, whilst it isn't as obvious to me, I have some experiences with glucose intake affecting my mood.

Have you read that article? ...because in it, it not only recommends a diet with low sugars but also supplements -like chromium picolinate, to aid in glucose management.

A few people who never responded to anti-depressants were immediately cured of their mood problems by taking this diet supplement.

I think that it is definetly worth investigating.

Emma

When was the last time you had your blood sugar level checked? I had mine checked not long ago and it was 3.8 I don't know if that's good or bad, and my blood pressure was 100/100, is yours low like that?

tommydog

Yep diet and mood problems certainly are connected.

Iv been having ongoing problem, as soon as i get hungry, i get extremely irritable, and sometimes very short tempered.

Iv found that this problem is at its worsed when iv been eating lots of junk food, shit like KFC or Mcdonalds. I find that the satisfaction is instant, but my body burns it quickly and i drop down to a low suddenly.

Since i identified this i can control it, i have learned that decent food, and particularly fruits and vegies are the best.

LittleMissMuffet

I've done a little more research on chromium supplements...
There is a lack of 'evidence' -some say- that it really works; and others say that it may cause renal failure or cancer.

Yet others still claim that it is something of a miracle cure for some people with mood problems.

And overall: the experts just haven't enough research on it.

So, I'm going to find out more information -maybe ask a nutritionist and my psychiatrist.

Tommy:- I think that it would benefit you to find out more about diet and anxiety. Maybe seeing a nutritionist would help you a lot.
If you read the article, for example, it talks about the harm of the typical Amercan diet. And you could learn not only what foods are bad but also good.

....Do you also know that young people are 300% more likely to develop mood disorders than older people...? And there is a good clue that this has something to do with food. -think about Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, and how this is connected with food additives and sugars.