Being in unrequited "love"?

Edith

This is a three part curiosity for me that focuses on unrequited love:

First part: Have you ever had someone "fall in love" with you but you had no love interest in them at all?

Second part: Have you ever "fallen in love" with someone who didn't share your feelings?

Either way, do you think that it was really love? Can you really be "in love" with someone who doesn't love you back?

It may sound silly, unromantic and WAY to practical (I've clearly never fallen in love...) but I don't think that its possible to "fall in love" unless you have some realistic hope in hell of being "loved back".

What I mean is that I don't think that when two people are in a situation of unrequited love - where they are on completely different pages about it - that the one who is "in love" can actually be "in love". I think, instead, that they must be mistaking and misunderstanding the relationship. They end up "falling in love" with what they think is there... but not what really is.

Third part: Did the one "in love" keep pestering you/him/her to become involved and begging you/him/her to give him/her/you a chance?

And if so: Ugh... why?!!

bleach

Banned
Edith said:
First part: Have you ever had someone "fall in love" with you but you had no love interest in them at all?

No.

Second part: Have you ever "fallen in love" with someone who didn't share your feelings?

yes.

Either way, do you think that it was really love? Can you really be "in love" with someone who doesn't love you back?

I think so. Why not? Since when do our emotions have to be shared to be real? That makes no sense to me. I knew her well enough to be in love, I think.

It may sound silly, unromantic and WAY to practical (I've clearly never fallen in love...) but I don't think that its possible to "fall in love" unless you have some realistic hope in hell of being "loved back".

What I mean is that I don't think that when two people are in a situation of unrequited love - where they are on completely different pages about it - that the one who is "in love" can actually be "in love". I think, instead, that they must be mistaking and misunderstanding the relationship. They end up "falling in love" with what they think is there... but not what really is.

Makes no sense to me. You fall in love with a person, not a relationship. If you know the person well, how is there confusion?

Third part: Did the one "in love" keep pestering you/him/her to become involved and begging you/him/her to give him/her/you a chance?

And if so: Ugh... why?!!

Well, you can't just turn those feelings off easily. And when you are in love with someone who wants nothing to do with you, it hurts bad. My guess would be that he is desperate to avoid that heartbreak by clinging to any slim (imaginary) hope he sees.

In case you haven't figured it out yet, these situations nearly always end for the worse. You can't be friends with him. Avoid him until he learns you do not want him around at all. If he doesn't know where the line is, you need to draw one and make it clear to him.

Kien

Edith said:
Yes all the time.

Edith said:
Second part[e/b]: Have you ever "fallen in love" with someone who didn't share your feelings?

What is the chance that of all humans, I would be the one who the other other person is in love with? If she even is in love with anyone atm.

Edith said:
Yes. Being in love comes from appearance. Not from knowing the person a single bit.

Edith said:
You fall in love whether you or anyone else wants it. It's no cotrolled by your will.

Edith said:
I never show anything and I don't think anyone would like me to do.

Jura

1. Unfortunately
2. Probably, but I was never 100% sure that they would NEVER share the feelings, so that did not stop me from loving them
3. Not really