Battling social phobia

Jim04

Hi all ,

I have been out of work since I left school (im 19 now) because I think I have some kind of social thing. I try to avoid busy places where there will be alot of people, and when I have to talk to someone I can't keep eye contact, go red, etc. It's really horrible. Bascially no confidence. It also makes me not want to go out. I suppose I'm doing better as a year or two ago, I would not go out for weeks, now I make myself go out nearlly everday.

I don't know what to do. If I went to the doctors could they do anything for me. Ive heared someone say when they go out they become this different person like an actor, and back to their normal self when home and that.

cherish

more than likely you'd get put on medication and they'd advise you to see a counselor.

I never feel like myself unless im at home or with someone i am close to. I may appear to be comfortable but im battling nervousness.

Funkymunky

I think your best bet might be to educate yourself on the subject.Try and pick up hints,tips and advice from websites about social phobia,or even maybe buy a book.Alot of the stuff sounds obvious and some of it sucks but alot of the simple things they advice you to do really does pay off in the end.You just need a bit of patience with some of it.I would stay away from tablets,im trying to come off Seroxat now after 4 years on it.It helped my depression but left me too tired and numb to make alot of effort with my social phobia sometimes.

Septor

Well you should at least try going to the doctors and maybe some counseling.It might not work out for you but it doesn't hurt to try.Your young it's easier to change your ways when your young then it is when you get older and try to learn as much as you can about it.Knowledge is power.

rko74

Different person {actor}

Yeah i often feel like im acting not myself when im not around my parents and in the house.My accent changes and i cant seem to be myself even though i want to.Usually when im around my parents, {people i know the most} i can say silly things and just be a doofus.But when i try and act silly in front over others i come across forced or robotic like.Hmm its annoying.Why does social phobics do this? I have read a few posts about it before.