Avoidance guilt

Whoopdeedoo

Ive been avoiding a friend who had become ,in my eyes ,very needy and self centered.. The thought of interaction with her makes me nervous so id been putting distance between us for some time now and she kept pressing me for interaction.
At which point I blew up on her and told her about the resentments thats built up over time with countless demonstrations
Of self centered, neglectful, needy and abusive behavior toward me on her part.
I now feel guilty that ive abandoned her... I feel that if I had set boundries and limits and dealt with negative interactions one at a time as they came up
instead of overlooking them and letting them build up
that maybe i could ve saved the friendship...
Should being friends with someone be so much work?
She made me feel neglected, abused and servile one too many times
It took awhile to learn who she really was
Its not my job to fix other peoples ways that are irritating?
I do have choices whom i want in my life orhow close i wanna get
How often isee them and how long i stay right ???
is it about time to pick better friends who are what you want already?
Does anyoneget me?i d rather be alone than with someone that i have to fight to be respected
Am i asking too much?
Or is this powerstruggle a natural progression of friendship?
Help
Im unsure im doing the healthy right action whether i continue interaction or avoidance
Ugh

Should being friends with someone be so much work?
^Only if you are both putting in a roughly balanced share of the work to make the friendship roughly equally beneficial to both parties.
If the effort and benefits are one sided, then no.

She made me feel neglected, abused and servile one too many times
......i d rather be alone than with someone that i have to fight to be respected.
^That sounds like a very toxic friendship to me. In my opinion, respect should be an automatic ingredient in the foundation of any true friendship.

Or is this powerstruggle a natural progression of friendship?
^No.