Are we hotter or wetter?

bill-uk

One of the things that has played on my mind over the years is whether we are actually hotter than our colleagues and friends which makes us sweat more or whether we are no hotter but just sweat more.

When i am on one of my sweat modes, perhaps after walking half a mile in heat to a meeting, I arrive and get hotter and hotter and the sweat pours out. But am i hotter than my colleagues or are they just as hot as me but don't sweat? As I understand it, our sympathetic nervous system overreacts to heat and we sweat more in given conditions. That means that our collegues could be just as hot as us but are not sweating as much.

Do you agree?

Namenick

My guess is that our perseption of heat is different than others as our susceptibility is as well. We sweat because we r hot we are not hot because we sweat although with more sweat our mind increases our stress levels and a sort of "panic" starts and tells us to sweat more. Its all releated, hope that helps...

bill-uk

I don't get the stress thing. Last week I was putting up 2 doors in the house, screwing in the hinges etc. There was no one else in the house and I was not stressed at all. However, although the ambient temperature was fairly low, I was sweating badly on my face.

I know that my father, my father-in-law and friends wouldn't have sweated in the same situation, so I was either hotter than them or simply sweated more than them at the same tempeature.

Namenick

I know what you meen, I get the same thing when I do some labour work at home. The thing that could help is trying not to think about sweat at that time , because you sweat more when you have your mind on it, and drink lots of water to keep yourself hydrated.

I get it the same bill, when i'm walking quite a bit outside and I get inside into a warmer place I sometimes feel the heat flushing from my head and body, it seems like I overheat. My body temperature seems high most of the time, people have called me a radiator lol, though at the same time my hands and feet can sometimes be stone cold.

I think this article makes good reading - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoregulation

fnord

Pinker said:
I get it the same bill, when i'm walking quite a bit outside and I get inside into a warmer place I sometimes feel the heat flushing from my head and body, it seems like I overheat. My body temperature seems high most of the time, people have called me a radiator lol, though at the same time my hands and feet can sometimes be stone cold.

I think this article makes good reading - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoregulation

Same here. My hands are often very cold, and coming inside from walking outside is a problem for me as well -- especially in winter when you need heavier clothing outside and then have to go into a heated shop for example.

steviegerrard489

bill-uk said:
One of the things that has played on my mind over the years is whether we are actually hotter than our colleagues and friends which makes us sweat more or whether we are no hotter but just sweat more.

When i am on one of my sweat modes, perhaps after walking half a mile in heat to a meeting, I arrive and get hotter and hotter and the sweat pours out. But am i hotter than my colleagues or are they just as hot as me but don't sweat? As I understand it, our sympathetic nervous system overreacts to heat and we sweat more in given conditions. That means that our collegues could be just as hot as us but are not sweating as much.

Do you agree?

I've always got hot really easily despite the fact I am slim, healthy and work out at the gym 3 times a week. So much so that I cannot bear to wear a tie walking to the train station in the morning! By the time I get on the train I start to burn up. A couple of reasons why:

A) I'm usually walking quite quickly to catch the train.
B) The station is on a steep gradient
and C) They always whack up the heating inside the train...

However, I always see people on the train wearing coats and scarfs, so is it just me who is always baking hot?

rado31

"fuck armageddon, this is hell"

Clonazepam makes this terrible heat go away for a little.
or i m imaginating?

But i cannot be on it permanently.

I cant stand this shit no more

fnord

steviegerrard489 said:
I've always got hot really easily despite the fact I am slim, healthy and work out at the gym 3 times a week. So much so that I cannot bear to wear a tie walking to the train station in the morning! By the time I get on the train I start to burn up. A couple of reasons why:

A) I'm usually walking quite quickly to catch the train.
B) The station is on a steep gradient
and C) They always whack up the heating inside the train...

However, I always see people on the train wearing coats and scarfs, so is it just me who is always baking hot?

Hi there - it just seems so unfair, doesn't it? Luckily I can dress fairly informally for my job, so I'm always in an open-neck tee shirt. Don't think I could survive otherwise as I can't bear to have anything enclosed around my neck (ties are therefore not an option).

causeeffect

People always tell me that I'm very hot when they touch me, even if I feel as if my hands are cold, other people think i'm warm.
I don't put on as many layers as other people do when its cold out and feel fine. However, I know of and seen other people who don't really need to put on that much clothing to go out either but they do not have HH.

I also know of a girl who is always hot and complains that she's hot all the time but never EVER sweats, even during extreme conditions. she says people who sweat are lucky because she is always suffering and the heat has no where to go.

JP81

This is the one question that has interested me for a long time too.

Speaking for myself, I believe my body exerts a lot more heat than the average person. This is evidenced by the fact that when other people have gone to sit on a seat I'd just been sitting on they regularly comment on the seat being particularly warm.

bill-uk

I asked the question "Are we hotter OR sweatier than our friends and colleagues".

Thanks all for the replies and I can see a pattern from them even if it is not what I wanted to hear.

From these replies, it seems to me that we all think that we are generally actually hotter than our friends but it also seems that many other people are also hotter, like us, but they still sweat less.

So if these limited results are accurate, that actually means that we are both hotter AND sweatier than our peers.

Sh**. Not what I had assumed or hoped, but nonetheless, gives us more info to try and tackle this condition.

woofytalk

I think it varies from person to person. The hyperactive sweat glands can be triggered by temperature, emotional levels, stress or nothing at all. The definition of hyperhidrosis includes "spontaneous or continuous sweating".

Each case is different and sometimes there's no rhyme or reason.

Cheers,
Jay