Anytherapists with SA working???????

vieda

Hi,

Can I work as a therapist is I suffer from low self esteem? I am studying to be a CBT as a post grad course, following completion of a psych degree. I am finding the course really tough at the moment as it involves filming mock sessions and then criticising our performances with one another. I have worked incredibly hard to overcome social anxiety in the past and I have made significant improvement through CBT. I still suffer from low self-esteem and this course is pressing my buttons which makes me seriously doubt my credibility and worthiness as a good therapist. So can I truely be a good therapist if I have low self-esteem? I think you all get the gist. Cheers to anyone that listens!

Well these symptoms come without logic, the whole disorders and illnesses in the mental realm are illogical. We all know it is irrational, but still we somehow find it as intricate part of ours. You have good first hand experience yourself and you are pursuing a career that would help other people with these issues. Which is very noble in my view, and you'd have the extra insights that other therapists might miss.

All are in your side, so go with it. This fear will evaporate once you gain confidence in your field. But to reach that you have to persist.

To answer your question, yes you can be a better therapist because you can get the bigger picture of what can go on in the disordered mind.

scruffpot

As someone who works in the mental health industry and has been there with PTSD, all i can say is good luck with your studies. But you have to be careful that your condition does not affect the help and support that you are giving to other people, for example its about them not about you. Will your condition give you a personal agenda? will you be fit and mentally well enough to help people?
Also there is a really important thing to consider is that even though you have a condition will you be going into support people wearing a mask?when you get home will you take any of the transference with you, being that you suffer with low self esteem can you provide a standard of care to clients?

I know the points I have made maybe negative sounding but as you know there are the ethical standard that run along side what you do and so do I do in the mental health sector

So I advise go speak with your tutor, seek some support and carry on with your studies, dont let what you have got take over your life, you'll find the majority of people who have been down the big black hole and out the otherside work in the industry.
I now run motivation and confidence courses for people with mental health issues, if your struggling PM me.