Anyone Write to beat SA? (also called Journal Therapy)

jamsambo

I've been writing to try and work out where my anxiety's lay and how to go about getting over them since I was 17. It's actually used clinically as well. It's called journal therapy.

I'm 21 now and I can honestly say that eventhough I'm not cured (can anyone truly be?), I have made immensely positive changes in my life.

This is all because I've been able to write to figure my way out of the trap of anxiety.

Anyone else write or wan't to ask how I used it? (I say that because a lot of posts are looking for alternatives to taking drugs)

nfg75

i only started writing till i read this book called "with pen in hand:the healing power of writing"

i recently finished it and ive been constantly writing, mostly goals i would like to fufill and things like that. but it really has helped with my anxiety. its really calming.

charlieHungerford

Yeah its a great method jamsambo, I don't think you can work on this and look at things by just thinking in your head.

Writing has been crucial in making as much progress as I have done and in my opinion made me find the missing answers, which I am now working on putting right.

I highly recommend it if you are someone who is motivated to overcome your SA, I found the key was understanding exactly why I feel/suffer the way I did with SA, once I worked that out, I then had solutions to work on, and if I didn't do that and find out what needs correcting, well how can I correct it?

When I overcome my SA completely which I am so confident I will do sooner rather than later, I would like to write a book, because I feel the books on SA are written by non sufferers who don't understand. And its understandable because I have been working on my SA for 2 and a half years and have often thought I new the answer only to realise it wasn't, but I feel for myself I am almost there now.

Keep up your good work!

van_sp

nfg75 said:
i only started writing till i read this book called "with pen in hand:the healing power of writing"

i recently finished it and ive been constantly writing, mostly goals i would like to fufill and things like that. but it really has helped with my anxiety. its really calming.

Does using a computer make it less personal?
Just wondering if they mention in the book if it's preferential to write with a pen and paper, over a word processor (such as Microsoft Word).

jamsambo

Thanks for replying everyone

I didn't quite expect so many people to say that they write to deal with their anxiety.

I really do find writing great though. It's an amazing resource and I actually need it to get through a normal week.

Hope everyone keeps it up!

emmdee

Yeah. I keep an xanga that is anonymous, and that nobody knows about. This way i don't have to watch what i write.
It doesn't make me feel better, but good to get everything out. =]
I also write stories to get things off my mind, but lately i have not been able to come up with good ideas.

jamsambo

That's cool emmdee, it sounds really positive. I'd love to write stories as well. I might start.

The way I use writing is in a kind of practical way rather than to express my feelings.

I can usually identify what's causing my anxiety through writing and then I figure out ways to solve that anxiety. I quite often set myself a goal to achieve and use a catchphrase to remember what I wrote so I can focus on keeping my anxiety at bay.

You should try it, it's good!