anyone ever read the Bible?

no1

Banned
what do you think of this? I'm not christian, but I was reading the bible the other day... specifically Matthews, because I wanted to start reading the new testament, to see what it's all about and stuff.

I am surprised to say that the little bit of Jesus' supposed word seems to imply quite a bit.. and it was a bit comforting.

I am one to usually dislike all religions and stuff but Im just kinda reading it from a theologians point of view I guess.

no1

Banned
rofl yea

though some people may misinterpret especially the part where it says "meak". Doesn't just mean "weak" but it just so happens that a lot of weak people are just kind of down trodden or whatever, have to learn by the trial and error thing... knowing that a lot of the people who are good end up bein weak in this world where evil rules and "goodness" is not too often recognized. "So blessed are they that suffer for I AM WITH YOU!" kind of thing maybe.

slimjim119

I read the Bible once in a while. I am a Christian. The sayings in the New Testament can give alot of comfort. Whether your a believer or not, It's great literature to read. Alot of interesting stories.

Kathryn

I read it...and I love it. People were obviously meant to read it....I can tell from the feeling I get when I read it..

Goriot

I'm slowly going through the new testament at the moment actually. As has been said, it can be quite comforting.

I read it as a fable, almost like a novel, and I find it largely agreeable.

I've never been religious, and I'm an atheist...but I don't really think that matters. I wish I could believe in something like that to its fullest extent, but that will never happen. Nevertheless, I am, overall, quite glad it exists. And perhaps the best part is that when I read it I feel like I'm a decent sort of person.

Yeah I'm pretty much agnostic but I like to read about Jesus and stuff, whether he really was the son of God or not, he still had awesome teachings

Thelema

when I read part of the old testament I just came away thinking that God shows up once in a while, gets pissed, people suffer and he goes away again. He's very meddling and likes to cause trouble. He acts like a little kid.

no1

Banned
actually I just wanted to read about Jesus. Ok, so maybe the Bible isn't an unbiased source or it's a little fictionalized or whatnot. where else can I find accounts of the so called "JEsus" every "religion" has it's own view of him,whether it's right or not. Which one is right? some called him Issa... who's right?

Thelema

no1 said:
actually I just wanted to read about Jesus. Ok, so maybe the Bible isn't an unbiased source or it's a little fictionalized or whatnot. where else can I find accounts of the so called "JEsus" every "religion" has it's own view of him,whether it's right or not. Which one is right? some called him Issa... who's right?

That's the thing about religion...the account is all one sided. Would you listen to a political party tell you in a book how good it is and never read anything else? Imagine if you listened only to Republicans/Democrats' account of THEMSELVES...You would be left with a pretty funny sense of reality...makes no gosh darn sense.

Naniwazu

I've wanted to read it for a long time, but just haven't got around to it yet. There's a miniature bible on my desk by the window, but I've only lightly skimmed through it. I'm studying Arabic (for fun!) at the moment and would like to read the Qur'an at some point إن شاء الله (I'm not a muslim; I just like learning languages)

winyyli

Yep, I try to read it a little bit every day. I'm a christian. The bible has just given me so much comfort and hope in this struggle. Especially John is an important book for me. And there are many beautifull places in the old testament also (not to mention letters of Paul :wink: ).

Emma

Yes, but only because I was made to at school, as soon as I finished that class, I put it on the BBQ....but that was more because I didn't like the teacher :p