Any ethnic Aussies?

jauggy

Are there any ethnic aussies on these forums? Reply to this thread if you are.

I am second generation Australian. I am of Asian background. I am 2nd year student doing Commerce at UNSW.

I also want to start a site where ethnics (and non-ethnics) can talk about news and politics. I neeed people that are interested. :D

jauggy

Well debating with leftwing whites is no fun. They just agree with you :p .

I am always interested in the right and perhaps far right opinions, but not because I agree with them. It's interesting to debate with someone that holds a different opinion.

I am not interested in politics per se but rather i just can't help but be drawn to issues in which the race card is played. I think news and politics that involve race, ethnicity, culture, and religion are interesting to talk about - because usually they can be very controversial.

I love reading opinions on controversial topics. I can't help it.

Phan

jauggy said:
Are there any ethnic aussies on these forums? Reply to this thread if you are.

I am second generation Australian. I am of Asian background. I am 2nd year student doing Commerce at UNSW.

I also want to start a site where ethnics (and non-ethnics) can talk about news and politics. I neeed people that are interested. :D

wow, i too am Asian, and studying Commerce 2nd year in UNSW.

haha, small world isn't it :p :D :lol:

shovelhead

worrydoll said:
sorry i dont understand are you saying the aborigines are migrants or indigenous?

They are indigenous.. I think he just meant the migrants get treated ok, but the indigenous do not...

yeah i didnt understand at first what ethnic meant in this context..it means non-white right?

Depends how you define 'white', I guess, as eurpoeans such as italian/greek, are 'white' in the broader sense but still considered ethnic by many...

people feel weird saying non-white? i have noticed lately that a lot of people are racist and although they dont outwardly appear so...they say racist things to me because they assume that as i am white i am racist too! its soooooo offensive and embarrassing!

I know what you mean, I get a similar thing with racism as you said and also with anti-sematism as I am jewish (but not orthodox) and white, people just assume I am white christian like them and say nasty things around me... When I was younger I used to protest, but all I got was "yeah but your different", I pointed out the only reason I was "different" was they actually got to know me before knowing 'what' I was.. It went over most of their heads, except maybe one of my closer friends, so maybe it was worthwhile as at least he understood and changed..

I think those experiences where good though it stopped me falling into the same 'trap' of prejudging people on race/religion...

jauggy

I've given up on my original idea for the ethnic political forum as it is too niche.

But I have successfully started the Not Yet Forums. It has it's own "Controversial Topics" Forum, so if you want to talk about things to do with race, culture, ethnicity, religion, etc. please join my new forum. Controversial stuff is what i like to talk about.

The site started only lasted week. Now it has 37 members and 640 posts. I'd be happy if you came and posted.

Here was the first post I posted on the forum which tells you about the site:
The Not Yet forum is my new forum and new concept. At the moment of writing this it has 0 posts and 0 members. If you create a forum about a specific subject, it is hard to get people to join it when it is first starting. So instead of finding specific people for your specific forum, I've made a forum that doesn't know what it's going to be about yet. The forum then evolves to whatever the users want it to become.

So the idea is much like evolution. At the start you have something really basic. In this case a forum that is about nothing. It has no cool skin or banner. There are only 2 forums - "Evolve the Not Yet Forum", and the token "Off Topic". Then users post on what the forum should be and the forum gradually evolves into something more specific. There is one big difference to this forum and other forums out there. With other forums, the admin has an idea and creates a site around that idea. In the Not Yet forum, the admin doesn't even know what the forum is going to be about. It could evolve to anything. I can only guess.

Note that the main page can be accessed via 2 addresses:
http://notyet.forumer.com
http://notyet.7.forumer.com

Thanks!

Derek

that forum you made is preaty cool. ive been on it since the begining and I realy like it. you can talk about anything and there is lots of cool and funny stuff there too. :D