Anxious around family..?

Yves

Does anyone on here get intimidated and shy around family(parents and sibling included)?

I feel most shy and insecure around them as opposed to strangers and i feel most comfortable with close friends...

Does anyone else feel the same? :?

TAMPA-BAY

All the time. My parents love to entertain and when ever I get home or get out of bed I alwayse have to be ready for unexpected guessts at the house. I just hate it but untill I get my own place theres not much I can do. Plus it doesnt help that I live in a tourst spot.

But anyway my anxiety (SA) doesnt discriminate between family or strangers. As long it s a social situation I usualy have difficulty. On the outside I can sometimes pretend but on the inside I struggle.

I recently went to a social anxiety meet group and it was wonderful. I had no anxiety at all. I guess it help when you know the other people you are with also have anxiety.

Foxglove

Oh Lord, yes. Especially around my husband's family. They are German, I am American, and we live in Germany. Germans love parties, and the custom here is on your birthday, you have to throw a big party and invite all your friends and relatives. All of the family try to outdo one another with the food, the expensive table settings, their clothes. It's an absolute nightmare. I have already gotten the reputation for being "strange" and probably cheap and lazy, too, because I don't celebrate my birthday.