Anxiety from Happiness???

TKDBB2009

I have been working through a Pure-O spike for about six weeks now. I have this thought that I hurt someone and that I will be arrested and thrown in jail. At the apex of the spike I was convinced that I would be going to jail and would loose everything.

Although I have been working through the anxiety and seeing a doc, I have panic attacks anytime I feel at ease. Or, anyime I feel happy about family, friends, or work. It kinds sux as I cannot feel happy.

Does anyone else have this issue?

cosmosis

Yeah, it is common and I think its got something to do with control. When we start to feel at ease or 'happy' we naturally let go and then at that point we might start to freak out because we feel like we don't have control of the situation (it's not really true, but we believe it). I think the problem isn't anxiety from happiness exactly, its that we might not be comfortable yet with letting go.

TKDBB2009

Thanks Cosmosis, I think you are right. I definitely have an issue accepting that things are OK.

Any thoughts as to how to combat this feeling?

Thanks.

R/
Mike

Lorraine Manca

im not sure its the same as what you guys describe, but i get anxiety from happiness too. i immediately start dreading that it will end soon and get upset. in theory i think itd help to look at the big picture and know that feelings come and go, and even if happiness ends itll start up again later down on the road. knowing that is easy, but believing it is the hard part.

TKDBB2009

im not sure its the same as what you guys describe, but i get anxiety from happiness too. i immediately start dreading that it will end soon and get upset. in theory i think itd help to look at the big picture and know that feelings come and go, and even if happiness ends itll start up again later down on the road. knowing that is easy, but believing it is the hard part.

That happens to me too. However, this is kind of different. Lately, any time I start to feel happy, it zaps me back to my latest obsession of hurting someone and going to jail. Its like my mind is telling me that I cannot be happy or relaxed.