Another new person

Mandarah

Hey guys. I stumbled across this website looking for a therapy group in Edmonton. I'm pretty sure what I have is social phobia, or social anxiety, or something like that. The explanations on this site sound dead on for what I go through. But I've never seen a doctor or anything about it, so I dunno. At any rate, I was just wondering if anyone knows of any therapy groups here in Edmonton? I know you guys have set up a social get together thing, but I think what I need at this point is some actual therapy. It's getting really bad... I had a run in with my landlady today and have been feeling sick and shaky ever since. I'm just so tired of feeling this way... anyway, any help? Or does anyone go to a therapist they really like? I'm kind of new to the city... Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Manda

Bustedhead

Hey, I just moved to Edmonton as well. I haven't got a therapist yet, but I can give you some info. Do you have coverage for therapy? It is free to go see a psychiatrist and be diagnosed, but psychologists that do the therapy cost money, that's one reason I don't have one yet.
If you don't have a doctor yet, your best bet would probably be going to the CMHA and at least get a diagnosis. The number I have for them is 414-6300. I have 2 addresses so I won't give you them because I'm not sure which one is the most recent.
There is also the Alberta Mental Health Self Help which is 1-866-452-1933, #328 9707 - 110 St.

maude_lynn

I just moved to Edmonton from Toronto.

I was recently diagnosed as having social anxiety disorder with OCD tendencies, but moved before I was able to begin attending group cognitive therapy sessions.

Are there any support groups here in Edmonton that I might access while I'm looking for a new GP to provide me with a referral?

rko74

Hi

Hi there, i met up with a fellow anxiety sufferer in Edmonton, i havent seen her lately though.Shes been having some stuff she has to deal with, but i will let you know when we decide to arrange another meeting.

maude_lynn

Re: Hi

rko74 said:
Hi there, i met up with a fellow anxiety sufferer in Edmonton, i havent seen her lately though.Shes been having some stuff she has to deal with, but i will let you know when we decide to arrange another meeting.

Thanks, that would be great. I'd really appreciate it!